Box with paperwork

Butch

Good Morning Gareth

I'll start the ball rolling:

The Kamon on the medal (which is an Order of the Rising Sun) and the certificate is called Go San Kiri ( 3 5 3 Paulownia )

There are various levels and grades of the Order of the Rising Sun, I think this is 8th Class.

The Kamon on the outer large box is Maru Ni Go San Kiri ( 3 5 3 Paulownia within a Circle ).

The scroll  is dated April 1st Meiji 39 (1906)

The other Kamon on the borders of the certificate are the Imperial Kikumon (Chrysanthemum) and the Imperial Go Shichi Kiri ( 5 7 5 Paulownia ).

( Go Shichi Kiri is now used as the seal of the Prime Minister of Japan ).

Many thanks Malcolm I didn’t think that the box and contents  where that old !!!!

The box is in beutiful condition and the colours are so  vibrant .Lets hope we can find out more about the recipient ...

Gareth 

The recipient's name is Fukumura Yasujiro, of Niimura in Mie Prefecture. 
The medal is the "Order of the Rising Sun, White Paulownia Medal" medal of the 8th order, which is (was) the lowest level of medal. It doesn't exist anymore, and was absorbed into another medal. It was awarded to this person in recognition of meritous deeds in the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905. 

Unfortunately the English Wikipedia entries don't touch on the old medals, and only mention the current system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders,_decorations,_and_medals_of_Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Rising_Sun

The certificates and the other papers are just paperwork with standard language - they don't describe any detail of the person or the reason the medal was awarded, but I think most soldiers were eligible for this medal at the time. 

On the lacquer boxes

勲功章    Medal of Merit

勲八等            8th Order

福村安次郎    Fukumura Yasujiro

白色桐葉章 White Paulownia Leaf Medal

On back of medal

勲功旌章   Meritorious Service Medal

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..