Bronze tsuba on military sword

Pippo

Hi gents purchased some military swords and one was a mix of civilian fittings including this tsuba, it has a added soldered metal insert to tighten fit to the blade tang. Im no judge of tsuba being correct or copy unless their really badly cast chinese junk. Cant people cast an eye on this and i would appreciate any thoughts.

Pippo

20220115_125614.jpg

20220115_125548.jpg

20220115_125539.jpg

Hi Pippo, I think the guard was originally made for a practice sword - sometimes called 'dancing sword'  Mozoto 模造刀

The background surface is in a very poor imitation of nanako-ji. The 'sekigane' [if you can call it that] is poorly done and lopsided in the nakago-ana. The rendering of the birds is pretty poor - overall not something collectable unless you are into 'retro reproductions'. I think a lot of swords were stripped of their correct fittings and replaced with sometimes more decorative replacements to catch the eye and sell to the novice. I hope the blade is better, tsuba and fittings were designed to be replaced so it is not a big deal to refit with something better.

Good Luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..