Menuki comparison/ help with translation

Mantis dude

Hi all,

Found a similar set of menuki in some old sales catalogs to a pair of menuki I already have. I tried to translate but didn't get much other than menuki mumei Kyogingushi (not exactly sure what that means or if I got it even correct). It says autumn insects but after that I don't read kanji. Can someone tell me what it says. Would be great to be able to fill in some details on the menuki. thanks.

menuki15.jpg

menukisalespagesimilar15.jpg

Kyo Kingu shi means a Metal fittings worker from Kyoto. (NB Later corrected to Kanagu-shi

by Markus below in following post, for which thanks.)

Quick translation, level of certainty 93%;

L1 Menuki Mumei Kyo Kingu shi (Kanagu-shi.... See NB above)

L2 Scene of autumn insects. Shakudo ground. ??? carved moulding (?) Yokei, Iro-e

L3 Two types of insects, Kamakiri & grasshopper, carved

L4 Each pretty well and realistically

L5 rendered with the bellies covered in gold Iro-e

L6 On balance more of a folkcraft creation

L7 Simply(?) humorous, worth having,

L8 A pity that one of the grasshoppers' antennae is partly broken

L9 Mid Edo

L10 Comes with Hozon Tosogu paperwork 38,000 yen

I have to laugh Marcus, I have noticed that in general nihonto collectors seem to be pretty exact individuals. Translating Japanese text is an adventure that I don't think I would ever undertake but I do sort of enjoy trying which surprises me. Although I admit I enjoy more the translation of a signature on a tang than text. All help is appreciated and I hope to remember this for the next time. All the best.

Ken

All help is appreciated and I hope to remember this for the next time.

Hi Ken,

This was actually my intention ;)

And also avoiding the naturalization of "wrong" readings for beginners as for the advanced.

I hope not to be dubbed as the schoolmaster of the board. :bowdown: [申し訳ありません] ;)

Sorry for being correct to a dot here, but the reading

of the term (京金具師) is "Kyô kanagu-shi".

Yup! Stupid of me. :freak:

Now I am embarrassed at

stepping into the gap,

my greed for a nice morsel of translation,

and my own lack of care with it,

but many thanks for the correction Markus.

:thanks:

Strive to do better! :lol:

Piers,

Out of that whole translation, one small mistake is really nothing to worry about. That is about 99% more than I could do :oops:

The nice thing about this forum is that people do try, and even when something small is slightly off..someone will usually correct us, allowing us all to learn.

Don't ever regret an attempt..especially when it was so quick and helpful. The same goes for Markus...we learn nothing if people don't point out where we made an error. It's vital and appreciated.

Brian

I hope Markus doesn't mind a little "gomasuri" 胡麻擂り ;) , but honestly, in my opinion there's nobody outside Japan who's as qualified as him to translate Nihontô related texts. Being corrected by him (or Moriyama-san or Morita-san) isn't a shame at all. Among Markus' credentials are the translations of all three Itô books on Higo tsuba - quite a formidable undertaking! Just thought I mention it so you guys know where he's coming from, he's much too modest to mention it himself. "Modest" as in an expression I had to look up in a dictionary since it doesn't apply to me ... :glee:

Edit: I was made aware that the last sentence is yet another failed attempt at making fun of myself (not of Markus!) - won't happen again! :badgrin:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..