High Class Iga Ware Matched Set - Chawan and Guinomi

sabi

Cheers NMB, 

On offer today are two serious Iga vessels, and either would be the center piece of more than a few collections. Both are made by the same potter, Isamu Umehara, who's site can be found here: https://utougama.wixsite.com/isamu-umehara/utougama

Done in the style of Ko-Iga, these are almost certainly from the same firing. Aside from their kiln effects and execution being strikingly similar, they were purchased within a few months of each other after an exhibition by the artist, of which I know one was featured in. 

Using rugged, hand dug kinose clay, each piece is strong in the hand without being too heavy. Highly desirable of this type - many of the natural feldspathic stones have come to the surface, with the chawan in particular showing some spectacular ishihaze. Glaze tones run the Iga spectrum from the more antique amber and yellow tones, into olive green and blue bidoro that flows around the body and pools inside of it. The latter feature is particularly important for chawan, as inferior tea bowls that aren't well fired will make short work of a chasen when the chadamari is bare, rough clay. The floor of this bowl is like a forest floor in autumn surrounded by a well of emeralds. 

Well sized and intended to use, the chawan is 14 x 8cm, the guinomi is 7 x 4cm. 

The guinomi has also been gifted a name by the artist, Koma, which is a spinning top and perfecy suits its soft, triangular form. This is written on the inner lid of the box and is also accompanied by a poem, of which I have the translation for and can share with potential buyers. The chawan includes its original box as well as shown. 

I'd like these to remain together, so for now I'm listing them as a set only. As a result, the price is very attractive at $300 net via PayPal for both. At that point you're getting the bowl at a discount and the guinomi for free, and I'd challenge you to find two equal pieces for such short money. This price includes shipping to the USA, international buyers please contact me so I can provide a quote. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional pics. Thanks for looking! 

FB_IMG_1635473297143.jpg

FB_IMG_1635473304196.jpg

FB_IMG_1635473300158.jpg

FB_IMG_1635473306737.jpg

FB_IMG_1635473309530.jpg

FB_IMG_1635553875544.jpg

FB_IMG_1635553880562.jpg

FB_IMG_1635553886894.jpg

FB_IMG_1635862680954.jpg

Archived