Nice fittings on Koshirae

Henry Wilson

Well, personally speaking I agree with Brian. I can see why you like that. Pity about the saya, but a good opportunity to ask for a special deal. It'll look stunning once it's done! Go for it, is my feeling. Some quality work there.

Sakura bark often has a peeling effect. You don't think it's possibly deliberate?! 8)

A former girlfriend has a phobia about snails; stick a mouse on top and it would be very unpopular!!! :lol:

Thanks Piers. The koshirae is very messy so I don't think it is deliberate (but wish it were :freak: ).

Well ... under normal circumstances I would buy it but the DTI is coming so my other half (who hates swords but likes the koshirae in question) has told me I could be sorry, spending all my pennies, before my little trip to the sword show..... When it rains it pours...

Henry,

That saya is a lot of work, and is probably high class merchant style..but doesn't do all that much for me personally. However the rest of the fittings are very nice indeed. I like that f/k, menuki and tsuba a lot.

Hmm...if you took the sum of those parts alone, average values...would it come to more or less than the cost of the whole koshirae?

Not sure how to work it out, but let's say low prices of $300 for f/k, menuki $250, tsuba $450..that gives $1000 already. Is the koshirae much more than that?

I might be inclined personally to have a new plain black saya made for it for display. Would look good with the light ito.

Then again, maybe something better comes up at the DTI. But if it is a good deal, I would say go for it. At least your currency hasn't dropped 55% :lol:

Brian

Thanks Brian for your comments. My intiail thoughts were pretty much the same. The saya... But it has grown on me.

Could it be the kind of koshirae a samurai would have worn off duty at home relaxing etc?

It looks like the bird has had the top of it's head cut of and the brains are showing :lol: :lol:

Henry, don't be silly. it is a Jewish bird wearing a yarmulke! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

As for it's use, well..that is anyone's guess. I would think that it would have been a merchant's sword based on how flashy it is, but anything possible. For the trendy samurai while lounging at the beach :D

Got a blade you are thinking of using it for, or just keeping as a koshirae?

Brian

Milt,

I think it has been proven that the fittings don't have to match. However look at it this way..

If you have all matching fittings, you know that they came together and are a set. If they aren't, then you will always wonder if they are cobbled together, and never know for sure. That is why matching is preferable, even if they weren't always.

Brian

• 2 years later...

Very impressive Henry. This saya will match up the rest koshirae just perfectly! It almost brought up a sentiment of envy for you and others forumites living in Japan and having access to such babies!

PS Besides the saya, I found the fuchikashira and tsuba, absolutely gorgeous.

Henry:

Did the laquering really tone down the orange coloration in the saya or is it the photo? I much more like this appearance than the brighter color as it fits in more closely to the tones in the rest of the furniture - excellent work!

The kojiri has a gunpai (war fan)and is in a the shape of a large sack. This represents Hotei, one of the 7 lucky Gods. It also has a gold kao which I recall is similar to one used by Yasuchika 安親.

Both menuki are signed SHOZUI 政随and TOU 東雨 and the fuchi is signed SHOZUI as well. All fake I assume as I should be so lucky.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..