wall hanger being sold as an antique on ebay

i came across this today on ebay; a mugito being sold as a bizen tachi;

i have to assume the seller knows this is a $300 wall hanger

since the nakago is not shown in any of the pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIZEN-KOTO-EDO-HEIAN-TACHI-KANTANA-Japanese-Samurai-Sword/183935831753?hash=item2ad36e0ec9:g:3lYAAOSwCTddaevh

Someone will probably buy it too. I remember several months ago and antique dealer/seller on eBay was selling a 18th century Tachi. Well, it was a Paul Chen Tachi with an msrp of $700 I think. I told them and even sent them a link and photos of the same thing. No reply, and they left it up(even though this seller stands by their items 100%) it ended up selling for over $2k.

Countless "Gunto" and WWII bringbacks on there as well that are Chinese fakes that look nothing like the real deal sell for as much as real ones even though they look like junk. I really don't understand people on eBay.

• Like 1

i've seen chinese made katanas being sold as nihonto even as recently as a month ago...

but this is one of the most egregious fraud on ebay that i've come across;

yesterday the starting price was $8800; since then it's been lowered to $2800...

i guess he/she realized there aren't that many fools with deep pockets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..