Could this signature be Chomin?

G26

This signature and kakihan are on a kagamibuta netsuke. When I bought it, the suggested translation was Kamin, but I wasn't sure that was correct.  A Japanese speaker thought the first character was cho, and I received a helpful suggestion in another forum that it the signature might be Chomin, who is recorded as having made kagamibuta. 

On the Nihinto Message Board there is a previous post (Minkoku/Shumin Tsuba) that mentions a Someya Chomin, father of Funakoshi Shunmin/Ikedo Minkoku, who made the tsuba.  The kao illustrated there looks similar to the kakihan on the kagamiguta.  

The signature could be something else entirely, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

post-5001-0-63653800-1560949564_thumb.png

It could be 蝶民 (Chōmin), with the radical (i.e., the left part of the 蝶 kanji) being reduced to just a couple of strokes.

But my problem is that I can't find any references to Someya Chōmin in Japanese online, so I don't know exactly how his name should be spelled. I can find a couple of references in English, but Chōmin could be spelled in a huge variety of ways using kanji, so I don't know if 蝶民 is a valid spelling. And, similarly, the lack of online references means we can't match verified, authentic signatures with the signature on your piece.  

Speaking for myself, the picture you provided is clear enough...I'm just lacking enough resource or reference material to make a good guess. 

Thank you Steve M.  That helps a lot.  Knowing that it's possible makes it worthwhile to try to track down an example.  

Thank you, too, StevenK.  I have seen some examples by the Chomin that Davey lists with that signature, and they all seem to be ivory.  It was suggested to me that I check Dieuwke Eijer's book Kagamibuta, since there is a Chomin mentioned there that might have been a metal worker.  The person who made the suggestion posted the signature that Steve M. posted above.  I don't know whether that's actually in the book though.  If it is, then the problem may be solved.  At least it is helpful to know that the signature on the netsuke could possibly be read as Chomin, since that seems to be the most promising line to follow for now.  I've attached a photo of the netsuke.

I the Davey book the closest kakihan that I could find is associated with Ono Ryomin.  The signature of Ono Ryomin IV looks close to the signature on this netsuke, too (except that the Ono part is missing).  All four of the Ono Ryomin's worked in ivory though, and I think that I need to find a metal worker.

post-5001-0-88907900-1560981610_thumb.png

Thanks for the picture Glen,

It's a very nice quality later Edo/early Meiji piece, curious this maker isn't better recorded.  The katakiribori and hira zogan are well done, and the quality of the ivory used for the bowl looks good.  There are many makers of which little is known, jury is still out on this one, with luck some information may still come forward.

Best,

-S-

• 2 weeks later...

Great news Glen.  The card index/personal notes etc. of the early collectors are great research material, unfortunately many of the reprints are costly so few make the investment for the item/items they need to research.  In addition, less have physical access to them.

-S-

Fortunately, the University of Kansas Art library has the volumes and is not far from here.  There don't seem to be many copies of the MCI publicly available in the US and Canada.  I've attached the list of academic and museum library collections from the WorldCat.

post-5001-0-92013200-1561804402_thumb.png

post-5001-0-59923500-1561804416_thumb.png

• 2 years later...

Very nice carving Yves!  Looks like the subject is Tadamori and as you probably know Chomin is an art name for Minkoku (1828-1916).  He is Haynes #05096.  If you search using Minkoku, you will find lots of his beautiful carvings.  He did both netsuke and tosogu.  4th Master of the Someya School.

In the MCI it says that Hara says that Chōmin was the father of Minkoku.

Of the three examples in the MCI, two have roughly the same short-form Chō, (as above) but the top right piece of the first example (although quite possibly representing the same 蝶 Chō Kanji) seems to be written differently.

Dear Piers, just like swords the quality of the work has to confirm the mei.  Minkoku also signed Chomin and used this kakihan.  From what I've seen the father's work is low quality and the son's work is much higher quality (like Yves' kagamibuta).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..