Shinshinto Utsushi Of A Kamakura Jidai Tanto

Shugyosha

Shinshinto utsushi of a Kamakura jidai tanto

Offered for sale, a cute tanto in a shirasaya with a sword bag. This is a later copy of a Kamakura jidai tanto with the fanciful gimei signature “Rai Kuniyoshi”. Approximate measurements:

Nagasa: 22.8cm

Motohaba: 1.9cm

Motokasane: 6mm

Jihada: Itame with some itame nagare

Hamon: Suguba in nioi deki

Nakago: Furisode nakago,Ubu (maybe slightly machi okuri), 3 mekugi ana, false signature.

Horimono: Bo hi ni soebi on one side and something that is like gombashi on the other and for which I can’t find a name in Japanese: two lines but each comprised of two finer lines.

A nice, well-made tanto with no significant flaws beyond some scuff marks under the habaki and a minor scratch (pictured). Comes with a well made habaki covered with silver foil.

Priced as a good quality, mumei shinshinto tanto, asking £SOLD plus Paypal but will include worldwide shipping. Comes with the usual guarantee: if this signature proves to be genuine then I will be more than happy to take back the item and refund the sale price.  :)

post-1332-0-04469100-1538930168_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-89577400-1538930205_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-72098800-1538930252_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-06766100-1538930300_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-03594900-1538930347_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-71671700-1538930371_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-51773900-1538930402_thumb.jpgpost-1332-0-00137200-1538930446_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The nakago and machi area:

The patina isn't consistent with most Kamakura era blades - the colour is too light and there's much less pitting and the yasurimei are still visible, the width of the blade above the tang and that of the tang are more or less identical indicating that it hasn't had many polishes - I'd expect the tang to be wider, whoever made it or did the machi okuri didn't square off the mune machi properly - the angle is a bit off - I'd expect more care to be taken with the genuine article and there's more ha machi than I'd expect, on the real thing there is practically none left.

These things aren't necessarily conclusive, you can find exceptions, but throw in the dodgy signature - I believe there are no known extant works by this smith, and it all adds up to a newer blade. A nice newer blade though.

• Like 1

Just to see how good a deal this is take a look at the gimei Kunimitsu on Aoi rt this morning. A nice blade with a less nice koshirae but starting at a lot higher price.

I think John's tanto is better. It  has a much better shape (in my humble opinion) and I think has a lot going for it. 

• Like 4

The nakago and machi area:

The patina isn't consistent with most Kamakura era blades - the colour is too light and there's much less pitting and the yasurimei are still visible, the width of the blade above the tang and that of the tang are more or less identical indicating that it hasn't had many polishes - I'd expect the tang to be wider, whoever made it or did the machi okuri didn't square off the mune machi properly - the angle is a bit off - I'd expect more care to be taken with the genuine article and there's more ha machi than I'd expect, on the real thing there is practically none left.

These things aren't necessarily conclusive, you can find exceptions, but throw in the dodgy signature - I believe there are no known extant works by this smith, and it all adds up to a newer blade. A nice newer blade though.

Very good observations!

Still a very nice blade and if I didn't just buy a tanto i would make you an offer. But the urge to purchase is high so you might be hearing from me privately soon????????

D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..