Nakagawa Noriyoshi

Edward S

Hi One and All, I am trying to research a gunto I have by Nakagawa Noriyoshi. Apart from a mention in Harley’s and a reference in the Nihonto Club index that’s all I have. I was wondering if anyone has any more information on this smith. Interestingly, there are no stamps on the blade but I think a stamp may have been removed sometime in the past. It has a very wavy hada and plenty of nie in the Harmon.

I found the ‘blade only’ with half a saya quite a few years ago and have recently had it cleaned up and put in a made-up koshirae with bits I had lying around.

Interested in your thoughts please.

Edward S

post-4420-0-56412200-1522686005_thumb.jpeg

post-4420-0-53638700-1522686044_thumb.jpeg

Hi Ray,

Thanks for replying, nothing as yet from other members. I am sure this sword had a stamp that has been removed and because I think it is traditionally made I think it could only have been a star stamp or tan stamp..... but there is not much information out there on this smith.

Edward S

Hi,

from Markus book:

NORIYOSHI (徳吉), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Yamagata – “Ushū Shōnai-jū Nakagawa Kōhin Noriyoshi” (羽州荘内住中川甦品徳吉), real name Nakagawa Nakanosuke (中川仲之助), born December 1st 1908, he studied under Fujita Akiyoshi (藤田昭吉) and Hiraga Morikuni (平賀護国) and established his own forge in 1936, later he worked as rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died August 1982

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..