Japanese Dirk Marking Identification

rthomson

Hello

I am interested in seeing if the members can help me identify the markings on a Japanese Dirk I have. I have been trying to locate information on the marking but no luck. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

post-3300-0-46909300-1434166368_thumb.jpg

post-3300-0-81315300-1434166382_thumb.jpg

post-3300-0-18819100-1434166387_thumb.jpg

Thank You Rob

Hi Rob, can't say for sure, but looks like the Suya Sho Ten mark.

Here's what's on the excellent Japanese Sword Index (With an accolade to Chris Bowen): 

"Located in Tokyo. This company was used by the Suikosha, or Navy Supply Center. The company made gunto koshirae. The owner of the company was Mr. Shimada. This company started back in the Meiji era and had a long history of making koshirae, including those for members of the Imperial family and many high ranking officers and diplomats."

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/logo/logo.htm

Thank you for the comments, I also have some additional question. Would their be any additional marks under the handle that could identify when this was made and possibly the owner. It is a dirk in beautiful condition.  Dont know if it is worth taking apart unless thier could be more information to gather as to the maker,owner,date made and value.  I know these dirks are very personal and have meaning to the owners. 

Again thank for the help been reading up on all morning very interesting.

Thank you Rob

Hello Rob,

No smith sign on the dirk tang for sure.

The officers could scratch there name on the crossguard. I have one with name scratched in.

Your dirk is from Showa 1926-1945 , my guess is 1926-40.

The dirk was was a symbol ,not only of authority , but social status and virility. They had a saying , that it was a charm that kept away the three evils: disease ,evil spirits and ugly women.

Thank, What identifies, that it would be from this era  Showa 1926-1945.  The piece is in great condition. would you recommend I get it appraised. Its is amazing all the ones I have seen in pricing and quality being sold on ebay. especialy the ones with no identifying marks.

The first from left is Meiji ,second is Meiji to Taisho. The rest is from start Showa to end of war.

Very few dirks are signed. Number 4 dirk is signed Hirokuni ,but thats also an old blade from prox. 1550.

The prices on ebay is sometimes pretty wild ,I would call them fantasy prices and they do not sell.

7955bf77fa487fd2974febea7944997b_zpsa628

• Like 2

Thank you it was part of a wedding present from my father -in- law, 21 years ago. also received a Japanese bayonet with the hoten Zoheisho Arsenal     (Mukden) marking.  

I am thinking of getting my collection of swords all appraised. I would hate to loose them in a break-in 

• Like 1

I cant see from the photos , what is the scabbard made of . Leather or sharkskin?

From what I can see , its an early one with all leafs ingraved and the sakura is raised.

Blade can have a hamon , hardend line , I cant see in the photo.

Blade has some rust.

Is wire on handle intact?

All rayskin on handle?

I can PM You a value ,when all my questions is answerd.

Thanks in regards.

Heres the big one with a normal size dirk (like Yours) . The normal size dirk is also made by Suya , but a deluxe version with same features but more small sakura blossoms on the fuchi and the pommel.

Real hamon in blade.

81ab139aa2373e4a278deb5c36415734_zpsx4sr

667b46eb949d8159c6947fcebbfbb336_zpsp747

Scabbard is made of sharkskin, pristine condition

Handel all intact with wire and all rayskin intack.

Latch works flawlessly

Its a very beautiful piece, and the information the members are giving is priceless, wish i found this board years ago.

Thank Rob

• 3 months later...

I cant see from the photos , what is the scabbard made of . Leather or sharkskin?

From what I can see , its an early one with all leafs ingraved and the sakura is raised.

Blade can have a hamon , hardend line , I cant see in the photo.

Blade has some rust.

Is wire on handle intact?

All rayskin on handle?

I can PM You a value ,when all my questions is answerd.

Thanks in regards.

Heres the big one with a normal size dirk (like Yours) . The normal size dirk is also made by Suya , but a deluxe version with same features but more small sakura blossoms on the fuchi and the pommel.

Real hamon in blade.81ab139aa2373e4a278deb5c36415734_zpsx4sr667b46eb949d8159c6947fcebbfbb336_zpsp747

Very nice collection!

Regards,

Francis

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..