46, 47 or 48 Ronin.

Hi all

Here is a bit of fun info without attempting to change Japanese history.

The 47 Ronin.

According to tales, one of the Ronin was a gentleman of advanced age, took no part but was included in spirit.

So we now have 46 Ronin.

But wait another Samurai was included in spirit.

So we are back to 47 or 48?.

How so?

Two of the retainers were brothers. Hayano Kanpei Fujiwara no Tsuneyo and Hayano Wasuke Tsunenari.

Hayano Kanpei arrived at his home to find his mother had died, and as eldest son had duty to assist in the funeral arrangements. This at the time when the call was to be with others to revenge his lord. Wasuke was told to go ahead and Kanpei would follow.

His father tried to persuade Kanpei not to go, torn with grief and loyalty to both family and duty, he committed seppuku. When the news reached his brother, honour was to be satisfied, by affixing a banner on to Wasuke’s spear, noted on which was: ,Hayano Kampei killed in battle’

An enemy killed by Wasuke would be credited to Kampei. So in spirit he was there.

This all started, when I researched an original print gifted to me by my sword dealer in London. It is by Utagawa Yoshitora. From the series The story of the faithful Samurai. A sample of the print is shown here.

post-3310-14196917307969_thumb.png

Hi Denis,

with this little Gift only, You own a sumptuous Collection.

BTW an Utagawa Kuniyoshi Print portrays Shikamatsu Kanroku Yukishige who's

Aged mother Committed suicide before the attack.

Best Regards

Hi Peter

I should have mentioned for those didn't know, the print is of Hayano Kanpei.

I have always thought of these prints as little windows, allowing for a little artists licence of course.

Would like one of Wasuke, a pair then so to speak. But they seldom come up for sale.

Thanks for that bit of info I will track the subject down for a look.

Regards.

Cheers David and thanks.

Peter

I did that piece of research, and for others. Yukishige's dear mum was quite ill, he had the call, but was torn between duty and family. Mum identified herself as the problem, and to make an answer her sons dilemma, she committed suicide. He now freed from family duty, answered the call, and the rest as they say, is history.

If you had a dozen such prints, what great dinner party pieces you could share.

Hi Denis,

You wrote that with a Great Sense oh Humour ,in a funny style.

To be honest I am Feeling sad, researching the continuous sequence of Suizides and

targeted killings ( Mum and Dad and wife and Grandson...).

Read yesterday evening the Sakamoto Ryoma Story, he Shared as a Boy a daimyo

procession, his Friends saw him, Run to him into the procession and were immediately

killend by samurai. ...

I am sorry to disappoint you with These Boring Lines, but invite you to Share my two and

a half prints ( beauties) when you are going to Visit Germany Some Day.

Best Regards

Hi Peter R

I like you am taken with the sadness, and awe at what we are given in these stories. This as I said started with the print I have, and as you have pointed out they all tell a story.

Ok, a lot of what we are presented with, is as handed down in folklore, but so was King Arthur. Far from boring Peter I am enjoying my trip into prints and seeking out the stories. After all Japanese myths and legends are in their own right fascinating.

And thank you very much for your invite, who knows it might come to pass I could visit, and of course you also have a home here to welcome you.

Now to nearer home.

Hello Peter M

Two links here to give a glimpse, of where I went for some examples, and story info. The 47 Ronin is of course a theme well regarded in Japan, so has had a lot of press so to speak.

But also at the moment, I have moved outside that story and am finding other fascinating tales of wonder. Once again another aspect of Japanese art allowing research. Is there no end to exploration, within this nations past culture? The mind boggles.

Cheers both.

http://www.toshidama-Japanese-prints.co ... antern.htm

http://www.kuniyoshiproject.com/Compari ... amurai.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..