Suriage Shin-Gunto Type 98

reeder

This blade was in a Type 98 I recently purchased. It was this year's Christmas gift from my wife. She got a gas oven and I got a sword, we're both happy. It's a suriage looks like the cut up the blade and shortened. I spent some time looking for a similar nakago, found one other example on a blade in kyu-gunto mounts but not a whole lot of discussion on it. Taking pics of these blades is an art within itself, glares were destroying me no matter what I did with only 2 hands. Cutting edge is 27 3/4".

Been trying to sell off some of my lower end stuff, most of my bayonets, and a lot of my knives to pick up a really nice katana. Trying to decide what I want, but I have time to do more research and spend more time drooling over everyone else's blades for now. I'm leaning towards a nice Kai-Gunto in ray-skin scabbard with some sort of traditionally made blade but not sure if want koto, Shinto, shin-Shinto, gendaito...

Thanks,

Brandon

post-4282-14196889322994_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196889325302_thumb.jpg

post-4282-141968893275_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196889329535_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196889331672_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Brandon,

Thanks for sharing. Its a little tough to determine the age based on the photographs. The nakago suggests the blade is likely older since it has been shortened but without seeing an overall picture of the blade and its curvature its hard to tell when the sword may have been made. Would you be able to get an overall picture of the sword and its curvature? A ladder looking over a table may help with this (slight sarcasm).

Also, seeing the hada and hamon more clearly would help too. Right now the hamon looks like a very fuzzy nioi-based chu-suguha, but in one picture you can see some pointed gunome in there. Thus, we might misjudge what the hamon is. In lieu of more photos, can you describe the hada and hamon? That too would help.

Best,

Matt

• 6 months later...
Brandon,

Thanks for sharing. Its a little tough to determine the age based on the photographs. The nakago suggests the blade is likely older since it has been shortened but without seeing an overall picture of the blade and its curvature its hard to tell when the sword may have been made. Would you be able to get an overall picture of the sword and its curvature? A ladder looking over a table may help with this (slight sarcasm).

Also, seeing the hada and hamon more clearly would help too. Right now the hamon looks like a very fuzzy nioi-based chu-suguha, but in one picture you can see some pointed gunome in there. Thus, we might misjudge what the hamon is. In lieu of more photos, can you describe the hada and hamon? That too would help.

Best,

Matt

It only took 6 months but here are additional pictures attempting to capture the details requested.

Thanks,

Brandon

post-4282-14196921734239_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196921736911_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196921743236_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196921792661_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196921794619_thumb.jpg

post-4282-1419692179661_thumb.jpg

Brandon,

Thanks for posting additional pictures. I would guess the sword is late koto or maybe early shinto. We can see some nie-based gunome formations. The lower mekugi-ana also looks punched not drilled and the machi indicate previous polishes. Can you discern if the upper part of the nakago was cleaned which is why there is no darker rust on it?

My guess, until I see more, is a late Muromachi period sword from Mino province.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..