info on Sengoku era katateuchi

NihontoSeeker

Well as I've done some nightly reading I thought I should add to this thread some excellent general information found in the Koto-kantei book. There is a lot more info in that book regarding katate-uchi, I'll just quote a small bit.

Principally the length of the sword followed the needs of it's wearer but we can also see several chronological and fashion trends. During the late Muromachi period, as mentioned around Eisho and Daiei, mostly short blades with a nagasa of around 60,6 to 63,6 cm with chu-kissaki were in use. These swords were made for a single-handed use (katate-uchi). With eras Kyoroku (1528-1532) and Tenbun (1532-1555), the nagasa increased a bit and measures around 66,6 cm. Also the mihaba became wider and the kissaki somewhat longer. This development was continued throughout the subsequent Genki (1570-1573) and Tensho (1573-1592) eras and towards the end of the Muromachi period, katana blades measured around 69,7 cm, had an even wider mihaba, no noticeable taper, a sakizori and often o-kissaki. With Keicho era (1596-1615), the sakizori started to disappear again and the so-called Keicho-shinto-sugata made it's arrival which bases basically on shorted Nanbokucho blades with shallow sori.

A small checklist would include:

Blade length roughly between 1 shaku 8 sun to 2 shaku 2 sun

Short to fairly short nakago

Mihaba with little tapering

Sakizori

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..