Good article on steel and forging

b.hennick

A very interesting article, Barry. Didn't know you were a physicist.

I looked through some my old chemical engineering references, & found several different phase diagrams for iron/carbon, none of which were the same as in the article. I guess that science has progressed a tad farther in 40 years.

It's definitely a different look at what swordsmiths have been doing by "feel" for over a thousand years.

Hi:

I teach high school science. Biology is my major followed by physics then chemistry. I have read some things on string theory but I am not one of the dozen people in the world who realy understand it. There are many who think that htye understand it but do not. It is just like swords - a beginner thinks that everything is clear. There are rules and the Japanese followed them. Unfortunately as you learn more you learn that there realy are no rules - the things that you thought you knew have many exceptions. When you realy start to understand things you step back and say honestly I do not know much. In swords it takes about 20 years of study to become an official beginner. After that thigns get better. I think that it is the same in physics at higher levels. 20 years of study probably makes you an official beginner. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..