What are your favorite sources to buy Tsubas?

lotus

I am a tsuba guy, here are my picks:

Boris Markhasin and Andy Mancabelli. Loads of what they have is top grade.

Tetsugendo.com - high-end tsuba

Yakiba.com - more for blades, but some tsuba are quite fine

otherwise private collectors.

Other people.

Having a solid collection, at this point I prefer trades and building relationships. Usually it is easier with Japanese dealers and European collectors. Americans tend to focus on money too much, including me sometimes. Instead, I try to focus on relationships and those really appreciating the hobby. For this reason the dealers I like most because they authentically enjoy the hobby are: Ed Marshall, Boris, and Mike Y/ Cyrus amongst the dealers.

Yes, relationship element is important. Half of my best tsuba have always traded hands privately. I'd always heard it was this way and some dealers like to spin this- but it ends up being true. You will find that you interact better with some than others, on different levels.

.......... Boris Markhasin and Andy Mancabelli. Loads of what they have is top grade ..........

I have purchased much of my koshirae and tosogu from them, corresponding directly with Andy. It is a pleasure doing business with him - he is extremely knowledgeable and conscientious in providing detailed and well researched information. Patient, too, in resolving money transfer problems caused by my bank (Andy lives in Tokyo). All in all, in my experience a fine enterprise to conduct business with.

James

Hi Pat R.,

Mostly I purchase tsuba from other collectors that are members of the Nihonto Message Board. These include but is not limited to as I might have forget someone: Grey D., Mariusz K., Henry W., Mark J., and Curran C. I have also purchase tsuba from Jack F. of my local Nihonto study group. In terms of Japanese dealer I have purchase from Aoi Art, Tokugawa Art, Zen Gallery, and Bushi Art. Hope you find this helpful.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

+1 for Ed Marshall, got my first two tsubas from him recently and was a pleasure to work with.

+1 for Andy and Boris; purchased my only kozuka and some books a few years ago. I initially inquired about a gusoku and andy was very patient and responded to emails. couldn't go after the gusoku, but had to buy something as a token of my appreciation of the time he spent with me.

A couple of my tsuba came from dealers which I know on a personal level, so I would have to say the overwhelming majority of my best personal tsuba came from individuals as well.

Most people on this board are upstanding individuals whom are a pleasure to do business with. I have bought tsuba from Curran, Mariusz that I can think of right off. Books from Grey, a kozuka from Henry.

As far as dealers, my modest array of merchandise and collection pales in comparison to the quality of offerings from Mike Y. / Cyrus C.. If pre-edo iron or soft metal is your thing then Boris is your go to guy.

I will say that while I enjoy buying from individuals, I would not hesitate to buy a piece which I had to have regardless of who owned it, be it a personal or commercial venue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..