Mito or Nara?

vajo

I bought from Jean's offer this lovely landscape tsuba. I know its a common motif but it is my crude taste.  :laughing:

It was described as a Kaneie design on a mito plate.

Today i recieved the tsuba and my first thought was oh - Nara. It has a very reddish patina (not rust). But it was impossible for me to photograph the tsuba in the correct color and keep all the details visible. So i took a front flash photo to get the details a little sharper. 

Here are the two photos. The right one shows the reddish patina, the other two shows the details.

post-3496-0-08591600-1569341829_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-21724200-1569341854_thumb.jpg

(It is the same tsuba with different lights, but it looks totaly different, crazy)

What your thoughts?

Not being an expert on the subject, I don't think these late tsubas can be classified easily based on the subject matter, which is a classic combination from no less classic Chinese paintings and stories. Kaneie was sort of the first, but then from Umetada Shigeyoshi to Aizu Shoami one does see such topics now and then in pretty similar execution.

Below is an artist he is neither classic Nara nor Mito, but Yokoya by training. sho from Dai sho.

Actually looking at the plate on one of the pictures in the beginning of this topic, I would argue that this could very well be by the same maker. He also did a lot of iron works that do look somewhat more simple compared to his kinko, but very much along the same imagery, slightly raised rim etc. 

Kirill R.

post-2253-0-93423700-1569378713_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

While it's true that the theme is not uncommon and was used by many groups what can distinguish them (the groups) is the specific way element within the composition are treated. This fingerlike tree, for example, seems to me to be a Yasuchika group thing. I'm pretty sure many such examples could be found that illustrate this sort of connection as it's exactly this sort of detail that craftspeople pick up while training in a specific style.

post-164-0-16607900-1569483613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..