Stumped On This One...

lotus

I was orginally thinking Ko-Shoami but the squared rim has me thinking Owari. Not sure on that one either. Figured someone here would know....

Dimensions 

width length of about 7.0cm × horizontal 7.0cm thickness 0.5cm 
Weight 85g 

post-2278-0-20638200-1534575025_thumb.jpg

I am thinking early Edo Owari.  Notice the asymmetry with the design skewed anti-clockwise.  You run across this in some early tsuba.  I believe it is designed to compensate for the angulation of the sword being worn to keep the design vertical in sight.  The hitsu ana are also a bit narrowed.  The birds are also asymmetrical as the two on top face the same direction but the bottom two face away from each other.  Interesting piece.

Pete -

I agree it is interesting though it does not seem as "airy" in design as many other classic Owari pieces. And maybe that is because it is more modern. The overall chunkiness of the design also hurts it, I think. It just lacks that elegance. When comparing to many other Owari pieces, I feel it to be a rather below average one.

The design of Your second Tsuba is clearly based on Owari, but the birds seem unusual for this school.

Furthermore the rim appears to be rounded (though there are later Owari Tsuba with maru-mimi) and the Fundo run into the rim.
My first impression was Akasaka.

But it's diffcult to tell by this picture alone.

Yours,
Florian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..