Mystery Find Tsuba?

I need help to identify this heavy brass object.    It looks like a TSUBA?   It weighs 177grams  76mm size - 6mm thick - Rounded and the rim = seppadai.  It also has a high relief and could be a lions heads? on the front face.  I have exhausted my online ability and think it maybe JINGO1 or around 1750"s but then again it could only be a recent copy.   I would love your thoughts on the matter.  I have a passion for Chinese Japanese items of antiquity and have now discovered the TSUBA. 

post-3680-0-30045500-1462367875_thumb.jpg

post-3680-0-33852200-1462367895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi John and welcome.

The good news is that you have found the right place, the bad news is that from your images this gives every indication of being  a cast copy of a tsuba.  As such I'm afraid any attribution is a waste of time, this is essentially reproduction.

Have a close look inside the edges of the cutouts, it looks very much as though there are what I would call flash, sharp edgers where the two halves of the mould have leaked a little during the casting process.  Original tsuba are not cast unless by a group called kagamishi who used the techniques for casting mirrors to produce tsuba, this is not one of those.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Keep looking.

All the best. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..