Translation Of Tang

GrozaB

SADAKUNI (貞国), 1st gen., Keichō (慶長, 1596-1615), Echizen – “Higo no Daijō Fujiwara Sadakuni” (肥後大掾藤原貞国), “Higo no Daijō Sadakuni” (肥後大掾貞国), “Echizen no Kuni Shimosaka Sadakuni” (越前国下坂貞国), Shimosaka school, he signed first with Kunikane (国兼), there exist several theories regarding this smith, one says that he was the brother of Dōtanuki Masakuni (同田貫正国) and moved during the Tenshō era (天正, 1573-1592) from Higo to Echizen province whereas he signed with “Higo Dōtanuki Fujiwara Sadakuni” (肥後同田貫 藤原貞国) whilst still working in Higo, another theory says that he was the master of Kotetsu (虎徹) and another one sees him as student or younger brother of the 1st gen. Yasutsugu (康継), from the point of view of workmanship, there seems to exist a certain connection to the Mino-based Shimosaka school and the honorary title Higo no Daijō was back then primarily granted to Echizen smiths, e.g. also to the 3rd gen. Kanenori (兼法) and the 1st gen. Yasutsugu, many katana and tantō of Sadakuni are in katakiriba-zukuri and have the typical wide mihaba of the Keichō era, but there are also smaller tantō without sori extant, the jigane is an itame-nagare with ji-nie or a dense ko-itame mixed with ko-mokume and/or masame, the fine ji-nie on the latter interpretations identifies them as Yamashiro-oriented, the hamon is a nie-laden suguha or suguha-hotsure, partially with ko-ashi, the bōshi is ko-midare, sugu like the rest of the hamon, or a slightly undulating notare-komi, mostly with a ko-maru-kaeri whose turn-back starts late, we know various horimono which are mostly quite fine, for example ken, gomabashi, bonji, Fudō-Myōō, or santai-butsu (三体仏, three Buddhas), the tip of the tang tapers to a kengyō-like kurijiri, the yasurime are sujikai, the signature can be small and fine or large and thick, jōjō-saku

SADAKUNI (貞国), 2nd gen., Kan´ei (寛永, 1624-1644), Echizen – “Higo no Daijō Fujiwara Sadakuni” (肥後大掾 藤原貞国), “Echizen-jū Shimosaka Sadakuni” (越前住下坂貞国), Shimosaka school, according to tradition the son of the 1st gen. Sadakuni, he signed the supplement “Higo no Daijō” large and with a thick chisel, that lead to the theory that all such signatures go back to the hand of the 2nd gen. because the 1st gen. signed this part small and with a fine chisel, we know quite realistic carvings like a warrior at the moment of his beheading, the hamon is a suguha or gunome-midare, chūjō-saku

Oleg,

I, like Stephen, would also qualify my response as my unqualified opinion only. That said, given the overall correct shape for period, the well cut not commonly forged mei, and most importantly the outstanding horimono, I would be extremely surprised if this turned out to be gimei. If it was for sale I'd certainly take a chance.

Doug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..