Looking to register on NMB. Registration closed?

Hi all,

Have had a huge rush on spam registrations lately. Up to 80 per day, which I have to filter through manually to find any real ones.

They have cracked most anti-spam measures and are able to register automatically using web bots or spiders or whatever. Has been over 2 weeks now, and I think most forums have had this increase.

Anyways, don't want to keep installing more anti spam measures that make it hard to register. But I may turn off new registrations for a day every now and then. Hopefully the spiders will see registration as closed and remove the site from their list. Going to disable registration now, and will open again tomorrow same time.

May do this from time to time, but it will always be back one day later, so newcomers, please try again in a day.

Thanks for your understanding.

Brian

Barry,

If the answer is anywhere in the question, or can be solved by Googling, then they will solve it automatically. I do have an anti-spam question with numbers to add, and they have no problem with that.

However, making someone go to a thread to find the number may work. Will give that a try tomorrow. I'm ok with 5 or 6 spam registrations a day...but over 80 is nuts. :?

They also spoof their ip using proxies, so they resolve to almost any country nowdays..can't even ban the ip's, and they have thousands of disposable emails.

Brian

I have ran 2 forums myself and Steve is indeed right, these days real people in stead of "bots" register and there is not to much you can do about it. It makes moderating/administering a time consuming task, always on the lookout where new shoes are sold...:)

Archived