Boshin War Armor Question

Justin Grant

I have a question in regards to armor for the Boshin war. I have read numerous articles about uniforms and arms used for this conflict. It is stated that the Imperial forces used modern weapons and “Western” style clothing and the Shogun forces were mostly comprised of traditional Samurai and arms, but that the small elite Shogun force was armed and trained in western style outfits and arms.

What brings me to this questions is that my Kabuto is signed Keio 4 Boshin, so this Kabuto was made for and during this short lived conflict. I am wondering if it was more than likely made for the Shoguns forces or would it have been just as likely to be for the Imperial forces? I know that Satsuma, Choshu, and Tosa clans were the main supporters, but again, most of what I read stated they were fully modernized. Even the woodblock and real photos show a westernized dressed army when depicting the Imperial forces and the prints show Samurai when depicting the Shogun’s forces.

Just trying to figure out what side would have been most likely to have a Katchu-shi producing traditional armor for this conflict.

Justin -

I would be careful when making assumptions even for something clearly dated like your kabuto. Besides the date do you have any other evidence to suggest it was made "FOR" the fight that was then in progress? Remember that battles happen, are referred to by different names by the opposing sides and may only be known to history by the name applied by historians.

Keio 4 was an intercalary year which included an extra month. Like our leap year this occurred only occasionally to help adjust the calendar. It would have been natural for an armour-maker to include this (戊辰) in the date but would not mean it was meant for the conflict unless he said "made for so and so of Satsuma" or for some other group we now know was involved in the fight.

If we were to speculate it would most likely be someone associated with the Shogunate since they had the money and the connections. Keep in mind though that it was a mixed bag on both sides of the conflict and some units from both armies were using older arms. Also that many Daimyo chose to opt out of the whole thing, choosing instead to remain at home isolated from what was a political fight at the capital. Why not stay home and live as you always had, and just join up with whoever the winner turned out to be? Someone like this could easily have commissioned some armour while sitting safely on the sidelines.

Any idea where this was made? That would be the biggest clue and as always photos are appreciated,

-t

Hi Thomas

The mei was translated by Moriyama-sama here http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13251. Photos of the Kabuto are attached. The Menpo is not original to the Kabuto and the Meadate is modern. My questin/assumption is based on the date translation.

IMG_9407.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg

OK I remember the post,

First off how very neat to have something from that time. If the date is the original date of manufacture then it is pretty darn cool to think this was involved somehow. Not sure how many other pieces of armour were cranked out at this time but I am guessing many artists were either busy making simpler items or simply waiting out the conflict.

This does not fit the standard for either the Shogunate forces or the New Imperial Army. Perhaps Aizu or some other place up north got busy making armour for the coming storm. surely if we figure out where your artist was working we'll have a better idea.

Thanks again Justin

-t ( for tom)

Hi Tom

I find is fascinating that it was one of the final pieces made before the restoration and that it was made for a conflict that set the ball in motion. I have asked and looked in what limited books I have access to to find the smith and no luck. I am very sure the mei is original, the gold lining is over the mei and I am sure the gold is original.

Theory is the smith was a common smith, but the treatments applied to this kabuto was of higher end (the mabezashi, gold lining, the agamaki hanger, nerigawa lined shikoro, and the finer silk odoshi). It was not for a common foot soldier, but someone of more "means". The smith took a simple zunari and added some "upgrades".

I wish I had access to the Katchu Meikan to see if he is listed, or if this style has some clues to the area of manufacture, but my knowledge is shallow and resources are very sparse.

Thanks!

Jg

Justin, I have already listed the only three smiths who used that Kane character recorded in Shin Katchushi Meikan in the previous thread. Unfortunately there are big holes in our knowledge of armourers and I'm afraid it is something you have to live with. No doubt other names will emerge in due course. My finest armour is by a Ki Yasukiyo and I waited almost 30 years until he emerged from obscurity.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..