Urushi repair

Does anyone know a good book that describes how to restore or recreate the urushi finish on the saya. Ive got some significant scratches on my wakizashi saya under the leather cover where someone removed the saya before loosening the snap studs. This forced the hanger ring down the saya leaving deep wounds in the lacquer.

Because the saya is only partly finished Im going to fit kurikata and kaerizuno plus put buffalo horn around the slot and on the KOJIRI .

Cheers

Hi Steve,

I'm not aware of any "how to books" on the subject in English. These is at least one very basic one in Japanese that I know of but it would probably be less than useless to you.

This site; http://www.urushi-kobo.com/index.html may give you an accurate overview of the complexity of the authentic process. Frankly, I'm not sure this sort of approach could be recommended to a complete novice and it would be worth considering that generally speaking restoring something like this is often a more delicate job than making a new piece.

If you dig around on the net I'm sure you'll find a number of alternative approaches using other types of material and paints etc...personally though, I can't recommend any of them as being in any way comparable to the real thing.

Regards, Ford

Thanks I thought it would be pretty difficult to attempt but the alternative is to build a new saya and use cashew lacquer to finish it. Id like to use the original despite it being a very basic gunto saya.

The problem Im having is finding some seasoned Hoh timber in Australia.

Ive no lack of mostly Japanese hand tools to do the shaping its' the materials.

Today I was watching a deshi finishing off a black urushi saya at an urushi nuri workshop and thinking about asking him to look at my saya. Too many people crowded around so I gave up.

(Some time ago, I stepped back when changing out of armour/armor and I heard a crunching sound under my heel)

Asking someone to do it perfectly for you would be one way, but it might prove expensive.

About $400 for the saya. If it was a nice edo period saya Id spend the money gladly but it aint. Its for display not historical restoration. Nevertheless Id like it done with trad materials.

Ive made custom stocks and grips for a wide variety af firearms and learnt how to handcut the checkering. Id like to learn a little about the craft of lacquer work even if it is just to see how difficult it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, an antique dealer was telling me that you can buy traditional Japanese lacquer in spray cans. He said the nozzle soon gums up, so you need to spread out everything you need lacquered and do them all at the same time. You should also spread very thinly as it tends to ripple and drip if you apply too much. I don't know if you can get a few small cans for a series of applications, but it might be one possible avenue to investigate.

I've been playing around with urushi for a few months. I wanted to restore a very intricate tanto saya. I got the urushi from Namikawa Heibei Co. They are very nice people and very prompt with their shipments.

I have to say, lots of articles I read caused me more problems than you can imagine. First it seems clear that Urushi should be kept in a damp environment to dry successfully.

I built a box to dry saya in from 150mm pvc pipe split in half long ways and hinged. I read that you need to have a damp cloth in the bottom to keep the atmosphere moist. Well, clear urushi went dark brown when dried in the box. Black urushi crinkled and where that it was even the slightest bit thick.

Now I dry outside in a dust free area. The fact that I live in Indonesia at the moment probably impacts on the drying process.

I think after about 10 tries I'm finally getting the hang of it...

Here's one I've done, it's a shame that you can't see the subtleties of the colour. It isn't quite even and has quite a different look to paint. It really has a natural feel to it.

Oh! Salad spoons from those ethnic art shops are a great source of buffalo horn. All the horn pieces on this saya were originally salad spoons.

post-111-14196744049174_thumb.jpg

post-111-1419674405014_thumb.jpg

post-111-14196744051212_thumb.jpg

post-111-14196744052071_thumb.jpg

Thank you Piers! Here's another one in urushi again. I've gone of it though. It looks too Hot Rodish! It seems the Indonesian climate works wonders for urushi. I can get away with quite thick layers although for clear I keep them fairly thin as it has a tendency to go brown if applied to thick. And Brian, I couldn't agree more, patience is of the essence.

post-111-1419674405288_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi Steve,

Further to John (wonderful lacquer work) and everyone else, I'd definitely recommend Namikawa Heibei at

http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/english/

They stock all colours of urushi in tubes and the owner's wife, Michiko-san, speaks absolutely perfect English.

I was in there today myself buying sword bags and a sageo and you couldn't wish for a friendlier, more helpful service.

All the best,

Simon

PS: I'm sure you're aware of the highly-allergic reaction urushi produces in most users - so remember the gloves and well-ventilated room!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..