Shinsakuto smith identification

Aaron Justice

Just picked this blade up from a Japanese furniture and antiques dealer that sells blades now and again. Took a bit of a gamble on it, and it might have paid off, blade is extremely healthy, extremely thick and a very wide hamon with a lot of polishing life in it. Already have it set up for a polish. Took it in the sunlight and the habuchi glowed off the blade, but it's absolutely masked over in the current polish.

I looked up the info I had (Yasuo Koshu, forged 1990) but could not find any info on the smith. Seller isn't in the sword business so they had relatively little info. I'm guessing a relatively minor smith, but the blade was nicely forged, very tight nashiji hada from what I can see, but the hadori finish originally done left a lot to be desired, the polish obscured details rather than showed them off.

Any identification would be appreciated. Regardless of the smiths notoriety, I got it for less than I've seen beat up and over polished nihonto in cracked shirasaya sell for, so I think I made out fairly well.

post-2039-14196815553806_thumb.jpg

post-2039-14196815555453_thumb.jpg

post-2039-1419681555758_thumb.jpg

His name is Nakagawa Yasuaki and he is from Omi (江州) which is present day Shiga Prefecture....I believe he is a rather young smith. I haven't heard of him before....

It seems he makes many iai-to. That is likely what your sword is as well....

His name is Nakagawa Yasuaki and he is from Omi (江州) which is present day Shiga Prefecture....I believe he is a rather young smith. I haven't heard of him before....

Thank you, that is much more to go on. The blade is definitely not a iaito though, it's a very thick blade, 8-9mm at the habaki. Probably closer to 3 pounds despite being 26.9 inches for the nagasa. Shorter than most Shinsakuto, but too heavy for iaito.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility that is it an iai-to. Most of these young smiths have little work and iai-to are one way to get orders. Beyond that, this sword has two mekugi-ana. That is very common in iai-to. Some people/styles may have a preference for a heavy, stout blade...

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility that is it an iai-to. Most of these young smiths have little work and iai-to are one way to get orders. Beyond that, this sword has two mekugi-ana. That is very common in iai-to. Some people/styles may have a preference for a heavy, stout blade...

Well, you may be right. I neglected the second pin for it.

I also have a massive Shinshinto far larger than the majority of mid 19th century Japanese could wield, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a 6'4 Samurai somewhere that needed a 4 pound katana. There's always exceptions to every rule.

Chris, I was wondering about the laws in Japan regarding owning iaito, and even smiths making iaito. What is allowed and what isn't? They aren't allowed to own live blades that are non traditional, even if it's for iaito or tameshigiri, are they? And do iaito have to be registered? If this blade is an iaito, what does that mean as far as materials and craftsmanship that were used in its construction?

someone can certainly correct me or clarify if i'm wrong, but the term "iaito" is used somewhat inconsistently and i believe when that word is used here in association with a shinsakuto, it simply means a sword intended for martial arts practice rather than for primary intent as an "art" sword. in both cases, tamahagane is used per regulations (that's different than my own use/understanding of the word iaito to describe an aluminum replica sword intended for safe iaido practice).

so in this case, the weight of the sword doesn't tell you too much about the intended purpose since not everyone doing martial arts practices "iaido." in fact, the heft may very well suggest it was made with tameshigiri in mind. as noted, the double-mekugi-ana is also consistent with this (but of course could have been added later too).

my understanding is that shinsakuto typically fall into one of these two general categories -- either intended for martial arts practice or as art sword to be submitted for sword forging competitions (though of course there are exceptions and in some cases the categories overlap). the appearance of this blade in terms of its overall forging, the sugata and nagasa, and the state of the polish and fittings (not to mention its cost) can often be a more helpful guide as to the intended purpose of the blade. it's hard to tell details from these pictures, but it does appear consistent with a "user" sword. my understanding is that many unestablished active smiths make these with some regularity based on demand to generate income. many of them can be quite nice, but there is certainly a range.

regardless, sounds like a great find. however, based on personal experience, i would consider how much a re-polish is going to reveal here, and i would choose a polisher who works with shinsakuto and can give you some good advice. it's a fact that polishers crossing genres (e.g. nihonto vs. shinsakuto vs. american blades) can often run into difficulties when confronted with new animals.

Smiths in Japan make two types of swords- those made with top grade materials in the traditional manner (art swords) and those made with materials of a lessor grade, often using simplified construction methods (typically called iaito). Regardless of the type, they are required by law to be licensed and are subject to the smith's production quota. Swords not made by licensed smiths are not allowed in Japan. Older swords must have artistic merit to be licensed. Those made simply as mass produced gunto, typically with a seki or showa stamp, are not considered traditionally made and are not allowed to receive a license or be imported into Japan.

Iai-to are generally much cheaper than the smith's art swords, which are his best work. Some can still be quite nice but they are what they are.....

So basically, in Japan, all 'iaito' are traditonally made Nihonto and have to be registered. Some 'iaito' where made for the specific purpose of martial arts training, and some weren't but are still used for that purpose.

with regard to your first statement, yes, in the context of this discussion. however, the terms are confusing because some of the aluminum/zinc alloy replica non-sharpened "iaito" used in iaido are made in Japan. they're just not made by licensed swordsmiths. they're probably made mostly by machines. and they aren't subject to the same regulations as nihonto, because they aren't classified as nihonto.

i don't know how folks who use the term "iaito" loosely in the manner we've discussed above describe the aluminum variety, but they are a totally different creature than a traditionally made shinsakuto intended for martial arts practice.

as far as your second statement, i don't think most art swords are used for martial arts practice, and certainly not usually for training that involves tameshigiri. although most smiths claim to strive for both form and function in their top art swords, and although many have tested their blades in cutting, the average practitioner is probably not going to rick cutting bamboo with a $20K and up shinsakuto.

i don't know how folks who use the term "iaito" loosely in the manner we've discussed above describe the aluminum variety, but they are a totally different creature than a traditionally made shinsakuto intended for martial arts practice.

The aluminum or zinc alloy type swords, which by law in Japan must not be capable of being sharpened, are called mogi-to.....

although most smiths claim to strive for both form and function in their top art swords, and although many have tested their blades in cutting, the average practitioner is probably not going to rick cutting bamboo with a $20K and up shinsakuto.

Hey Joe, how's it going? I picked up the giant Shinshinto mentioned above from Joe here by the way, so he understands what I mean when I say it's a thick blade, even comparing it to the monster I have now.

I would definitely fit this blade in the lower class Shinsakuto level. Come to think of it, a lot of iaito websites advertise custom made Shinsakuto, and usually for around $6,000 starting price. I would put this blade in with those. Not a fantastic art blade by any means, but still a nice piece considering the price tag.

If I had to guess, the blade was cut with in some tameshigiri sessions, and the blade was never properly cleaned afterwards. Perhaps the tatami was still a little wet because the blade has stains, spots, and some minor pitting here and there. Nothing major, no nicks or bends. However, in a panic after being discovered, the blade was poorly cleaned off, and efforts to scrape out some oxidation from the pitting was made.

The tsuka is just under 10 inches long, so definitely more iaido like in that sense. Nice solid silver habaki, but fairly plain Higo fuchi and kashira and kojiri. Japanese production made fittings with the kojiri being a floral design with inlaid gold and silver toned patterns.

Maybe his name reads Nakagawa Yasutaka (中川泰天). He was a teacher of swordsmith Ishii Narumichi (石井成道) in Chiba. He is not young and he may be more than 80 years old if he is alive. He made swords in Shiga and Okayama.

Ref. http://www.giheiya.com/shouhin_list/jap ... -1043.html

Hey Joe, how's it going? I picked up the giant Shinshinto mentioned above from Joe here by the way, so he understands what I mean when I say it's a thick blade, even comparing it to the monster I have now.

I would definitely fit this blade in the lower class Shinsakuto level. Come to think of it, a lot of iaito websites advertise custom made Shinsakuto, and usually for around $6,000 starting price. I would put this blade in with those. Not a fantastic art blade by any means, but still a nice piece considering the price tag.

If I had to guess, the blade was cut with in some tameshigiri sessions, and the blade was never properly cleaned afterwards. Perhaps the tatami was still a little wet because the blade has stains, spots, and some minor pitting here and there. Nothing major, no nicks or bends. However, in a panic after being discovered, the blade was poorly cleaned off, and efforts to scrape out some oxidation from the pitting was made.

The tsuka is just under 10 inches long, so definitely more iaido like in that sense. Nice solid silver habaki, but fairly plain Higo fuchi and kashira and kojiri. Japanese production made fittings with the kojiri being a floral design with inlaid gold and silver toned patterns.

aaron, that shinshinto blade was a great study piece, i only wish i could have learned more about it. i considered submitting it to the sf token kai shinsa, but the probable gimei and the state of the polish complicated things. not to mention it really needed a small wheel mounted at the end of the saya for ease in transportation.

it's funny about shinsakuto. it's almost as if those of us without contacts in Japan have access to less information about lesser known active living smiths than we do about the lesser known former smiths who made what are now antiques. i have recently picked up a few shinsakuto, and aside from one maker who's garnered some recognition, i know almost nothing about the smiths who made the others. i wish there was an easy way to find more information.

i'm looking forward to chris' reply to the previous post about your blade.

The only way to know for certain which pronunciation of this smith's name is correct would probably be to ask the smith himself.....In any case, we know the correct kanji...

I have never seen this smith's work previously, as far as I can recall. Having attended more than a dozen shinsakuto exhibits, I have seen the work of most smiths in Japan, and assumed he was a young smith thus....I stand corrected.

I still believe this is an iai-to, regardless of the age of the smith....

Maybe his name reads Nakagawa Yasutaka (中川泰天). He was a teacher of swordsmith Ishii Narumichi (石井成道) in Chiba. He is not young and he may be more than 80 years old if he is alive. He made swords in Shiga and Okayama.

Ref. http://www.giheiya.com/shouhin_list/jap ... -1043.html

as i say, difficult for non-Japanese speakers/readers to get info on shinsakuto. here's the Bing translation of the linked page:

"In Shiga Prefecture yokaichi Nakagawa, heaven, movie sword, tohsho NI had been in the Okayama Prefecture Kawakami-Cho Kawakami made sword had been. 6 Min 3 Rin-Ho building, Hermitage wing warping the Blade 2 Shaku 4 dimensions length 9 minutes. Coordination body was thin heavy and even extraordinary, Torii hit, cutting the 45 Yanagihara to warp. Of boiling is with itame skin of iron. 銀筋 runs with the eye disorder benefit edge statement. Hat returns disorder including 小丸. Students in stem cosmetics files take a stalk butt and cutting up chestnut ass."

i like the last sentence in particular. :crazy:

shinsakuto1.jpg

shinsakuto2.jpg

shinsakuto3.jpg

shinsakuto4.jpg

shinsakuto5.jpg

shinsakuto6.jpg

shinsakuto7.jpg

shinsakuto8.jpg

shinsakuto9.jpg

Some pictures of the entire thing. Took me quite a while to get the light to hit it right so you could see the nioi in the habuchi. As you can see it wasn't a very good polish to begin with. The areas of pitting look worse in pictures than in person. They are very shallow and should be removed in even a fairly light repolish.

The scuffing and pitting lead me to think it is quite likely that this sword was used for tamashigiri. The usual target is a water logged rolled tatami cover....

As I expected. Luckily a line of pitting ended up being nothing serious, I thought there was a possibility of a long but thin grain opening in the shinogi ji, but it ended up just being dotted rust and pitting, shallow as well.

I decided to do a small clean up on the blade just to make sure I wasn't sold a gimei oil quenched blade that someone worked over to make it look like a Shinsakuto. Yeah, I know that's a bit paranoid, but with very few of the blade details visible I needed to give it a try.

(*Disclaimer - Yes, I know that any traditionally made Japanese blade deserves the attention of a qualified and well trained polisher to do the blade any justice. I simply polished a small 2 inch area with a hazuya and jizuya stone to see if the blade cleaned up any. Hazuya and jizuya remove so little steel in a polish that it would fit on the point of a needle)

The jizuya I had was a little too hard so I stopped using it. After only two hazuya stones I found a pretty good one, and the hada started popping out. It appears to possibly be a ko mokume hada? It's going to have to take a full repolish to see what really comes out. I heavily contrasted the picture to make the hada stand out more.

post-2039-14196815728056_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..