Advice on DaiSho Purchase

Hello there,

I'd really like some advice on this DaiSho for sale on Aoi Art. I'm considering a purchase and just wanted a second opinion on whether they are of a reasonable standard given the price? I've done some research on the smith and it appears to be genuine. I'm minded to get them sent to Shinsa, is this a sensible thing to do?

http://www.aoi-art.com/sword/katana/11299.html

Many thanks

Jamie

Tsuruta-San has a very good reputation. Seems like an excellent price, but I can't comment on authenticity of signature. I'm sure one of the many experts can help you out with that. If I see something I like with a good price from a reliable source, I jump on it, but that's just me. :)

-Derek

Hi Jamie,Having been through the daisho phase and paid a few school fees along the way I would sugest you consider whether you would you buy the blades as stand alone items and if so at what price. More often than not one pays a premium for a daisho with blades. My experience is that most daisho blades unless top end items are of not of the quality one would usually seek to acquire.In the process I would personally be on my guard that the signatures are in fact genuine.I have not even looked at them so will not comment other than to say that unless you have expert advice ,prepare to be disappointed.The koshirae are what that are and the price probably says it all.When I first started collecting a very well known dealer told me that most collectors start off buying a daisho and then a kabuto.I was no different. I purchased what I thought was a very nice daisho and enthusiastically had gimei signatures removed and sent the blades for shinsa.Years later my tastes had changed and the daisho was sold at a substantial loss.Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..