Yahoo Auctions Japan

One I know and have used is Jauce. So far I have bought one sword from Yahoo Auctions Japan through them. You just have to agree to pay a 20,000 yen documentation fee and tell them where you are located(I told them the state I'm in, but I'm pretty sure just saying the country you are in should work as well). Though be prepared to pay quite a few fees in addition to the documentation fee.  For a sword costing 76,000 yen I ended up paying 36,860 yen in fees, including the documentation fee and shipping. 

Ah, great, and thanks for sharing that you have had success purchasing blades using Jauce. I'll check into their website to see how it works. Ah, the documentation fees do seem quite steep, so good thing the USD vs JPY rate is in our favor at the moment.

Did you also have to pay for shipping from the sword seller to Jauce, and then Jauce to you?

That's very useful advice, and thanks for confirming that you had to cover all the shipping costs for the transaction with Jauce.

I'll go hunt around now to see what's interesting on Yahoo Japan, ha ha.

39 minutes ago, Gerry said:

That's very useful advice, and thanks for confirming that you had to cover all the shipping costs for the transaction with Jauce.

I'll go hunt around now to see what's interesting on Yahoo Japan, ha ha.

Good luck. Its a minefield on that site. I would only consider swords with NBTHK papers and clear pics. I was interested in a Kamakura era sword but the pics were awful. Never got a reply from the seller when I asked for better and clearer images. Next.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lewis B said:

Good luck. Its a minefield on that site. I would only consider swords with NBTHK papers and clear pics. I was interested in a Kamakura era sword but the pics were awful. Never got a reply from the seller when I asked for better and clearer images. Next.

Oh yes I only buy swords with recent NBTHK papers, and many of the listings do list Kamakura or Nabokucho blades, but without papers to substantiate the claim.

This was one that was listed on Yahoo Japan for only about $2300 USD, as opposed to the much higher price on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305559650419

It seemed like a great buy and an interesting piece, but someone in Japan beat me to the punch.