Copper Sleeve

Good evening
I just thought id share a blade with you which has just come back from shinsa, the reason for the post is that the nakago has a quite unusual copper sleeve over the original Nakago. Ive read a few NMB posts tonight on similar extentions. This one looks to be friction fitted ie no visible welds or pins. It has been done exceptionally well with the yasurime from the nakago being mirrored to the copper sleeve, When using a magnet on the copper it would suggest the original nakago to be ubu.  I was in 2 minds when sending the blade for shinsa as to whether it would paper if the sleeve stayed on or not and if i did attemp to take it off would it reveal a mei. As you see it was left on as it is part of its history and it papered to 
Tashiro  Kanemoto  this Kanemoto is listed as 4th gen shichidaison, “7th gen. Kanemoto

Swordsmith:  Kanemoto
Also listed as:  Genichiro
Generation:  4th Magoroku
7th Kanemoto
Although being listed 1624-1644 
Markus states he had a long career with a blades known to state made at age 89, 
The NBTHK only states an attribution to the smith but with no indication of date.

Screenshot_20240501_003833.jpg

• Like 4

Dear Peter.

An interesting thing to have, and I think John is onto something regarding the kinnoto.  From memory there is one example in the Boston Museum catalogue, I'll see if I can find it.

All the best.  

• Thanks 1