More Information and Authenticity Check

Curious Cosmos

I recently came across a beautiful wakizashi and wanted to check its authenticity. I am fairly new to all this but I've tried to do my own research online. Everything about it looks correct, though I had some concerns about the signature on the tang Yamashiro Daijyo Minamoto Kunishige (山城大掾源国重).

While not the cleanest photo, the signature mark looks rough. Any thoughts or opinions?

I came across this forum and noticed a discussion on this maker from a few years ago identifying 2 particular individuals who used the same signature.

Ichizō Yamashiro-Daijō Kunishige the 1st

Denshichirō Yamashiro-Daijō Kunishige the 2nd

I have included a photo of the tsuba, the kozuka, and the tsuka.

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

PXL_20240416_001634323.MP.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Without investigating blacksmiths/Mei, based on the pictures, Sugata reminds me my Echizen Seki (early Edo ~1650), I like it. 

However, condition of the blade is below my acceptable level. I'm not sure if it is just old polish or rust/pitting is unremovable. 

I love Koshirae, black & gold works very well. Mokko Gata Tsuba type is my favorite, so again, big + for that. 

Please share more pictures if you can. 

Thank you for the insight. 

The kozuka is fairly worn down and the signature on it is barely visible.

The blade itself I had a hard time taking a photo of due to reflections.

I have added a photo of the kissaki.

Are there any specific items you want to see more photos of?

PXL_20240416_164155220-EDIT.jpg

The fittings have a kind of Mino feel to them. Nice package so far.

The kozuka with kumade and mi design looks good from here. :wub:  When you say a worn 'signature' do you refer to the kozuka blade, or to the handle metalwork?

6 hours ago, Curious Cosmos said:

Are there any specific items you want to see more photos of?

Hi,

If you could try taking some pictures of Hada and whole Nakago where Yasurime appears. Maybe better pictures of Kissaki, as I can't see Boshi on the one you posted. I know it is difficult to capture some of that, especially with the blade in poor polish condition like that. 

NBTHK papered blade from  Yamashiro Daijyo Minamoto Kunishige 山城大掾源国重 looks way different.

https://www.aoijapan...-minamoto-kunishige/

But that is just one example. 

Still, I like Sugata and Koshirae very much, so I wouldn't mind if it is a Gimei. Nice sword, just requires new polish and some love from future owner. 

6 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

The fittings have a kind of Mino feel to them. Nice package so far.

The kozuka with kumade and mi design looks good from here. :wub:  When you say a worn 'signature' do you refer to the kozuka blade, or to the handle metalwork?

Ah yes, I am referring to the mei on the kozuka.

1 hour ago, 2devnul said:

Hi,

If you could try taking some pictures of Hada and whole Nakago where Yasurime appears. Maybe better pictures of Kissaki, as I can't see Boshi on the one you posted. I know it is difficult to capture some of that, especially with the blade in poor polish condition like that. 

NBTHK papered blade from  Yamashiro Daijyo Minamoto Kunishige 山城大掾源国重 looks way different.

https://www.aoijapan...-minamoto-kunishige/

But that is just one example. 

Still, I like Sugata and Koshirae very much, so I wouldn't mind if it is a Gimei. Nice sword, just requires new polish and some love from future owner. 

From an earlier post I found, (https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/39469-yamashiro-daij%C5%8D-minamoto-kunishige/)
There were two Yamashiro-Daijō Kunishige, the father and the son.

The 国 was what concerned me the most on the mei though I was able to find some results associated with the son.

I found a piece that seems to have similar koshirae.
https://www.e-sword....1110_2002syousai.htm

I have added a photo of the nakago and a couple photos of the kissaki.
I will see what I can do about the hada.

Now that I've gotten some closer images, I can see the roughness.

Is there a post I can be pointed to for proper cleaning and care or should professional assistance be looked at?

PXL_20240417_074005287.jpg

PXL_20240417_073556812.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240417_073144764.jpg

CC, the word Kozuka means ‘small handle’.

A useful blade is inserted into this handle, so the two together are also referred to as ‘Kozuka’.

In your case I am asking where the Mei is, on the steel blade or on the main work of art, the Kozuka handle, sometimes referred to as the fukuro or ‘bag’.

@Curious Cosmos

https://www.e-sword....1110_2002syousai.htm

Indeed, this one looks similar. So it could be Nidai work. Don't look at Koshirae, it was probably changed. 

There are many topics on this forum related to sword maintenance. You can prevent blade from going further bad but I don't think you will be able to remove stains/scratches/rust with simple Uchiko/Oil maintenance. Also, please don't try to restore the blade on your own. Best is to consult it with Togishi, he should be able to advise on next steps of restoration. 

kissaki.jpg

mei.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

CC, the word Kozuka means ‘small handle’.

A useful blade is inserted into this handle, so the two together are also referred to as ‘Kozuka’.

In your case I am asking where the Mei is, on the steel blade or on the main work of art, the Kozuka handle, sometimes referred to as the fukuro or ‘bag’.

Thank you for the clarification!

The mei is on the blade. I have attached a clearer photo.

PXL_20240417_155101612-EDIT.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ah, thanks for that. I see what you mean!

These Kozuka blade Mei were mostly (but not always) a dedication in admiration to a famous swordsmith, so they would be unlikely to tell you anything about whoever made the little blade itself. 

(Signatures you find on the Kozuka ‘fukuro’ however usually do indicate the artisan, though you need to watch out for fakes!)

• Thanks 1