Looking for some help on acquiring a nihonto..

Hi, I am interested in buying a modern era katana and wanted to share one of the items that I have been interested in and to gauge if it would be a reasonable deal. I understand that such blade would probably have little artistic value, but I'd like to have something that is functional for all practical purposes, in a great condition and is yet a nihonto produced by a reputable/acknowledged swordsmith. I have stretched my budget to fit the needs, so any words of encouragement or opposition with regards to the sword, swordsmith, and price, would be much appreciated. :) I am new in the field and have been trying to narrow down dealers for whom I have found decent feedback both here on NMB and other platforms. I attach two photos of the Katana as well as a link to the listing (e-sword.jp), where you could see more information. 

Swordsmith is from Osaka, called Okishiba Nobushige.

The listing says production date is 1973, although I assume this might be a type-o - the Mei says June 1960 from what I could translate, which sounds more accurate based on the information I could find on the sword smith.

https://www.Japanese...katana/2410-1038.htm

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Maxim

2410-1038main.jpg

2410-1038ha_big.jpg

Maxim:

I would also add that for 480,000 yen, you could get a nice papered older nihonto made with traditional tamahagane steel. But if a modern piece made with modern steel is what you want, then go for it.

John C.

1 hour ago, John C said:

Maxim:

I would also add that for 480,000 yen, you could get a nice papered older nihonto made with traditional tamahagane steel. But if a modern piece made with modern steel is what you want, then go for it.

John C.

You’re not wrong in principle John, but this blade is also traditionally made with tamahagane — the only material that can be used to make a sword in Japan. It is simply a modern blade, a shinsakuto. 

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, my understanding was that the sword production in Japan is highly regulated in terms of materials and technology so would be getting approximately the same quality in a modern sword as an antique one. Safe, of course, for the skill and artistry of the particular smith.

I think the main appeal I have for getting a shinsakuto was that it is a combination of owning an authentic katana and still having the option to afford some extra enjoyment with down the line - I see most of them are marked as “for iai and tameshigiri”. Getting into swordsmanship seems like a logical new interest for a prospective sword collector :) 

best regards,

Maxim