This one surprised me

This sword went from 500k jpy to 1.3M jpy in the last 5 minutes. Blows my mind that a likely gimei sword pulled that much money. Assuming the horimono and mei was genuine, I'd suspect this sword would easily pass Juyo and be worth serious money? This sword does have all of the looks though. Nice horimono, mei, ubu, good shape...

https://sword-auctio...kubetsu-kicho-token/

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Can anyone say which generation Yasutsugu this was?

I asked Aoi Art (Tsuruta?) and he says that he believes the signature is gimei and wouldn't pass NBTHK Hozon so he didn't attribute to any generation of Yasutsugu. The mekugi ana is in such a position that it cuts off a large portion of the "tsugu" kanji making it hard for a novice like me. My novice WAG would be that the Yasutsugu kanji and aoimon seem most reminiscent of the 3rd gen based on some online references I found. I've seen some members here allude to differences in file marks between the different generations but I couldn't find any materials online that go into that much detail unfortunately. 

As always, there is a decent amount of material available online regarding the Yasutsugu school, but never enough it seems in English.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was keeping an eye on this as well and was extremely surprised when it went for what it did. You would think when they said they would not guarantee the mei it would have capped it but I guess not. The blade itself would be a good candidate for gimei. I agree with null on the similarities with the echizen the 3rd.

In regards to the file marks that’s a tough one. I have 2 papered 3rd blades and the file marks are reversed between the two. Unless the generation attribution is incorrect it would lead me to believe variation is expected? 

Decent gimei.

• Thanks 1

I watched this one too.  Couldn't help it.  The aoi mon did look really well done but the quality of both horimono seemed lacking to me.  I didn't have enough faith to go that strong on it and honestly thought it might end at the 431k yen price.  Checked back earlier today and just thought if I did decide to go for it I would have been blown out the water.

• Like 1