Sode Falling to the Rear

DTM72

For those few who actually wear armor, do you have any trouble with the sode rotating behind the shoulders, leaving the shoulder exposed? I have thought of adding a cloth strap so that it holds to the arm. This is a replica suit of armor from Iron Mountain Armory so don't worry about me ruining an original antique set of armor! I will say that part of the problem may be that I have NOT been tieing the armor tight to my waist, and the shoulder straps are bearing all the weight. I have been using the yoroi obi on the exterior. I realize I need this on the inside of the do, with a sarashi obi on the outside. Maybe getting the shoulder straps off of my shoulder may help the problem, but I'm not sure this is THE fix.

Help is appreciated,

Dan

Armor 1 (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 4:31 AM, Bugyotsuji said:

Each Sode is attached by two strings to the wadakami.
You need to shorten the front string on either shoulder.

I tried that. It doesn't seem to work.

I wore the armor this past weekend. I tied the obi tight and got the shoulder straps off my shoulders. Still, the sode shifted rearwards. Maybe I need longer rear strings to shift the sode?

It’s true that the do should be held up by the mawashi round your waist. The wadakami will not bite into your shoulders.

Can you show us a clearer picture or two of your problem?

Have you tried attaching the front string to the front tip of the wadakami?