Thoughts on this tsuba?

Avidmark

Hey folks, looking for some advice about this tsuba. To me it appears forged but I’m having a hard time finding differences as opposed to cast, which I’d prefer to not to collect. Are there any obvious signs it’s forged or cast? 

https://www.samuraim...samurai-sword-t-589/

Is price a good indicator if a piece is forged or cast?

Thank you for your time. 

21 minutes ago, Matsunoki said:

Looks 100% forged to my eyes. Price isn’t much of a guide. Some perfectly genuine forged iron tsuba are quite inexpensive. Reminds me of two I have which were very affordable………

IMG_2593.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg

So the excessive pitting would be rust pitting over many decades/century or two? Or part of the aesthetic?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

I do not see any signs of casting, but from the photos, I get the impression that the patina is not good.

Could it be properly repatinated? Or is that not appropriate for antique fittings. 

11 minutes ago, Avidmark said:

Or part of the aesthetic?

Those heavy indentations are a deliberate design feature.

If you are interested my two were discussed in these topics…….theybare interesting but not at all important or expensive. Just nice things in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Avidmark said:

Could it be properly repatinated? Or is that not appropriate for antique fittings? 

Mark,

of course they could be repatinated, but I would like to suggest to proceed with patience. Your TSUBA is probably 300 years old (or older), so a year or two wouldn't cause any more damage; especially as it is not in a bad state of corrosion. In the meantime you may get informeds about preserving and storing old iron TSUBA. It is good for the soul to spend some time together with your TSUBA and give them a little TLC. They can tell stories, also.

As Colin already expressed, TENBO TSUBA tend to not be so rare or valuable that rapid action was necessary.

TENBO TSUBA  20240205  5314.jpg

• Like 2