Neutron tomographie of Japanese swords

BIG

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 5:24 PM, Baba Yaga said:

I have a lot more faith in Science and not much in todays Shinsa Team. Much has changed in the last 30 years. 

My DNA goes back to Rome and Southern Italy. Then again could of been descendants of slavery. 

Dear Patricius,

from the Roman republic 509 BC Rome was divided into 3 social classes: the patricians (Aristocratic families), the plebeians (Working classes) and slaves, this at least until 264 BC. when the plebs raise their social status with laws and rights (this to simplify). The name Patricius in Italian is translated as Patrizio which is not so common to hear for a man is more common for a woman (Patrizia), therefore in the end your name can be translated as "Aristocrat" so not bad....:thumbsup:

PS: Sorry for being off topic Peter, very interesting article personally I think that these analysis methods will be increasingly used and on one hand I see it as right, but on the other hand if a computer is able to give all the answers I'm scared that lot of the culture that revolves around kantei will be lost... 

Regards

• Like 1

Giordy, I was the first one to go off topic, so no problem. I do not see the loss of human kantei/shinsa culture, only the high end items will have a neutron tomographie and the human shinsa.

So the juyo and upper classes will be more expensive, but seller and buyer got an fantastic sword history without „bleeding or destroying“ the blade.

Best

PS: try to get more info about the costs..

On 11/19/2023 at 3:54 AM, BIG said:

Remember the BOND STREET RESULTS thread. Here is a pdf..

_pdf

Yo… This is actually “bad” bro… Finally some 22nd century R&D to drool over. I can’t wait to go see my buddies at “MIT” and ask them about doing 3D image overlays for nihonto. Saves me the trouble of having to actually dissect nihonto for kizu. I would love to be able to volunteer to do this service for the NBTHK-AB at sword shows. No more guess work with polishing… ever.

Cheers to better days!

Khalid

Think would be interested analyseing a shinshinto Naotane, but more relevance in analyseing a koto blade ..??

Does a collector fear that investigation..?

May be a bavarian collector are willing to test his koto sword in Garching.

Best

On 12/2/2023 at 8:25 AM, BIG said:

Think would be interested analyseing a shinshinto Naotane, but more relevance in analyseing a koto blade ..??

Does a collector fear that investigation..?

May be a bavarian collector are willing to test his koto sword in Garching.

Best

I think that for a collector the issue of fear is linked only to the economic aspect, a crack inside the sword does not change its external image but for the market the price certainly changes, I think that collectors who can afford these blades (And pay for them 4 times the evaluation)https://www.christie...m/en/lot/lot-6389183  do not have the slightest interest in encouraging a scientific examination that provides certainty, indeed they will discourage any possible interference in this sense and the reason is obvious.

It is good for many that at least part of the market remains in the gray zone, if tests like this one reach lower costs in the future
and they could also be feasible for swords in the order of 8-10k it would undoubtedly be an epochal revolution for the sector.

Regards

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..