Understanding a Soten tsuba before acquiring it

Ron STL

Attached is a Soten tsuba I'm considering acquiring. Soten has never greatly appealed to me, but this one seems of quality. It was given good point level by recent NTHK.NPO shinsa. Work sheet Japanese is too hastily written (handwriting) plus no real English explanation other than later Edo. A complicated motif, I'm hoping someone recognizes the tale and say something about it. I've also been unable to read the full mei and therefore can't understand who this is. The gold mimi and hitsuana plugs appear very well made. Some help on this Soten would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!

Ron STL

SOTEN 1a.jpg

SOTEN 1b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thank you very much. This clearly identifies each character and allows me to read on more on about Soten. The NCJSC had an article in their February 2022 newsletter titled: Tsuba of Hikone. I need to reread that again. The only Soten tsuba I have in my collection is a beautiful shakudo example, mumei, depicting the 12 sages in bamboo grove. NBTHK Hozon. Those "faces" are so livelike. I will check out examples of iron Saotome to compare with this one I'm asking about. Mongol invasion? That makes sense, thanks. 

Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..