A Couple of Swords Requiring "restoration"

Cookie4Monstah

Greetings everyone,

A few days ago I received a couple swords back from a veteran "Togishi" (Moses Becerra). We had a frank conversation about the swords. I got the impression that the two swords are not worth waiting on, and the cost of restoration is painful (a two year wait and $120 an inch to polish). I did go through a full blown restoration with him on my first sword. I was fortunate enough to be able to sell it afterwards and barely break-even on funds (he brokered the sale). Is there someone that you can recommend to handle the restoration of these two other swords that is more "forgiving" when it comes to terms and conditions regarding services rendered. I understand he's very busy and has very wealthy clients. The swords are not much to look at at this time, but I went ahead and uploaded two photos of them anyways.

Your feedback is appreciated,

Khalid

DDB90CC6-8318-4699-9C8B-DDE05809DD09.jpeg

EB2DF035-923B-4C34-AA42-485FF0BF3024.jpeg

• Like 1

Khalid,

I don't think that polishing prices are related to the wealth of the respective owners of the swords. Instead, a careful traditional polish takes about 100 to 120 hours of work, and that is - among other factors - what makes the price.

• Like 3

As you stated you only broke even on the first blade you had done and if Moses told you that these two were not worth polishing I would trust his opinion and not bother. If you want to have a proper polish done then regardless of the toshigi it ain't going to be cheap. Don't look for bargains in brain surgery or parachutes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Khalid,

I don't think that polishing prices are related to the wealth of the respective owners of the swords. Instead, a careful traditional polish takes about 100 to 120 hours of work, and that is - among other factors - what makes the price.

I have no idea how someone with there own business can make a living at $30hr and that's including expenses. My Gardner charges that and all he does is cut my lawn and fix a sprinkler from time to time. It looks like the 2years is the issue and I can empathize with that. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I have no idea how someone with there own business can make a living at $30hr and that's including expenses. My Gardner charges that and all he does is cut my lawn and fix a sprinkler from time to time. It looks like the 2years is the issue and I can empathize with that. 

Because Japan has been deflationary for 30 years and prices have been stagnant for that long. One can have a lunch for $4-5 and polishers are not known to live lavishly. If you buy your food from a supermarket I suppose you can live on $10 a day in some parts of Japan. 
From a Western perspective, it seems very, very cheap and I agree. My gardener also charges $35 an hour but that is London, where inflation has been 10% in the last year. Some food prices have doubled in fact. 

• Like 3

Japan devaluated it's Yen by 25% so to entice it's export value. I don't think it's working! I agree Japans economy never recovered from the U.S. housing crisis.  

Sword Restoration in Japan and outside is a double edge sword. :glee:

If the  Restoration price doubles many people will not be able to afford the service. On the other hand the value of Nihonto may raise and people like myself would be monetarily happier.  I said "may" and not will. It could go the other way and kill the obscure hobby. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..