Japanese bronze

Shuko

If anyone can help clarify what period this medium sized bronze is from and the subject matter I would be grateful. It is 19 cm long, 30 cm high and weights a bit over 2 kg.

I only know a little about Nihonto and almost nil about Japanese bronzes (except I like them). My guess is this is a late Edo or a Meiji period bronze of a warrior monk holding up a temple bell for protection.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Bronze 4.jpg

Bronze 5.jpg

Bronze 6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I believe it portrays the Bell of Miidera Temple:

https://historyofjapan.co.uk/wiki/miidera/

Note the last story:

Another tale relates to Benkei, who was the retainer of Miyamoto no Yoshitsune. The tale relates that when he was still a monk he sorely wanted to steal the bell to install it into his own monastery. He thought to roll the heavy bell down the hill, but fearing the monks would hear him and discover his theft he used his great strength to place the bell on one end of the cross-beam and his paper lantern on the other and proceeded the carry the heavy burden for seven miles. Eating a meal after arriving back at his temple, he then allows the monks to strike the bell.

However, instead the bell made a cry of ‘I want to go back to Miidera!’ They hoped that sprinkling the bell with holy water would appease it, but still the bell longed for Miidera. Benkei grew angry and so he struck the bell as hard as he could hoping it would break, but it did not. All it did was cry again, ‘I want to go back to Miidera!’ He took the bell to the top of a mountain, kicking it down the slope. Benkei no longer wanting the bell. Eventually the priests of Miidera found their bell once more and hung it back in its rightful place. It is said though the bell never spoke again, and merely rung like other temple bells.3

It is a tale seen in tsuba, either as the bell itself or with Benkei.  I'm sure someone else can extend this topic.

BaZZa.

• Like 6

Thanks BaZZa

Any idea on the age of the bronze ?

This stolen bell of Miidare tale seems to fit this bronze quite well. The actual temple bell is huge and no mortal man is ever going to be able to lift it up himself.

Bell of Miidera.jpg

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..