Gunto Mei Translation

Dark Regent

I have a sword my uncle left behind about a decade ago, when he had to move out of the country. He had owned it for quite a while before that, but I didn't ever get any history about when/where he even bought it. So, I'm hoping somebody can help shed some light on who made the sword. I figured looking at the quality of it that it was from WWII, and finding the Seki stamp on it seems to confirm that. However, I'm finding the mei very hard to read. Unfortunately, all I have is the blade and the scabbard. So, I'm also trying to figure out what to do with it, in terms of maybe finding a tsuka, etc. to go with it. I know it's not really valuable but it is a piece of history.

Blade and Scabbard.jpg

Seki Stamp.jpg

Gunto Mei.jpg

41 minutes ago, Dark Regent said:

Unfortunately, all I have is the blade and the scabbard. So, I'm also trying to figure out what to do with it, in terms of maybe finding a tsuka, etc. to go with it. I know it's not really valuable but it is a piece of history.

Looks like you will need;

habaki (collar)

seppa (spacers)

tsuba (hand-guard)

tsuka (handle)

Habaki and tsuka are custom fitted to each blade. Seppa and tsuba can be filed open or punched to close slightly. Best thing you could do is attend a military antique show or a Japanese sword show. Many dealers have extra habaki, seppa, tsuba and tsuka that you can try to fit. Roll of the dice though.

Thank you very much, Dan and Thomas! I appreciate the additional advice about where to found necessary parts to make it whole. I know it won't ever be completely original, but at least it could then be displayed. I'll have to keep an eye out for the parts and make a project out of it at some point.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..