Type 95 Transitional Tsuba

Stegel

Over the weekend, i was doing some sword maintenance when i decided to further investigate an old pattern 3 with a transitional tsuba. To clarify to anyone unaware, it is merely the plain black steel tsuba which has both slots to cater for a Top locking or Side locking mechanism. (which is the main difference between pattern 3 and pattern4 in this model)

So far it appears that only the Tokyo Arsenal produced these, involving all three sub-contractors.

These are all fitted with the Top locking mechanism which makes sense as Tokyo Arsenal never produced patterns with the Side lock, but as the tsuba can accomodate both, and one can foresee a possible future change to a Side lock mechanism, we have the 'Transitional' title.

All have the Jinsen Arsenal acceptance stamps, so these may have been special samples supplied in order to facilitate the new upcoming production of the Type 95 model at the Jinsen Arsenal.

The Tsuba are the thinner version associated with the Tokyo arsenal, not the thicker Nagoya type.

The Seppa are always the same with these pieces, being only 3 parts, consisting of 2 plated and one, slightly thicker, being painted. (for those familiar with Dawson's book, it is neither var2 or var2A)

After dismantling, this particular sample had a few interesting features,

- matching serial numbers between the fuchi and blade itself

- both the 'Jin' and 'He' stamps present

- Solid Copper Fuchi being Nickel plated before the application of paint

- the now well known 'w' stamp on the tang just after the Habiki.

Here's a photo for viewing.

post-1868-0-79429400-1577596598_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Very good to know, since I've never taken them apart. I wonder if they're all the same...

So far I've seen the following combinations with the Jinsen stamp (this is off the top of my head, would have to look through records to see if there are more I don't remember):

Suya and Kokura

Suya and Tokyo First

Iijima and Tokyo First

Gifu and Kokura

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..