Jingasa

jeremy

Look at lots of them first, in museums if possible. Books too. A good one is not cheap, so the fakers have been busy out there. A chip on the edge can be a blessing, as it lets you see construction material beneath the lacquer. Not fiberglass? Lots of signs on the underneath can usually tell you if it was genuinely used or not. A fun collection, but take it slowly!

If it's a steal, too good to be true, it often is.

• Like 1

I was rather interested in iron jingasa- -  in part because they seemed very reasonably priced and they also link nicely with teppo and gunnery. Unembellished iron was the wear of the lower ranks but my luck with lacquer ware - of any type - always resulted in chips and fragments.

Peter

'nuff said regarding the black/red one.

The all black one looks to have the original straps in place underneath and the exposed/chipped edges give a view of... not a solid mass of FG.

N.B. Both of the above comments are personal opinions based on being regularly shafted, causing me to be extra leery/wary. Some people might say "absolute stuff n nonsense!" and end up with a nice wall hanger. What do we really want? A nice decorative piece, or a solid but unremarkable historical piece, with the bonus of approval by visiting experts? Or do we want a bit of everything, at a reasonable price?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..