New guy second sword

scottyfz6

Okay I done did it now. Bought a second one. Another ebay sword, it has its issues, but appears to be in decent condition. It does have a scar near the tip, is signed but not papered. Remember I just want old wall hangers/convo pieces that look decent to the uniformed ( like me )

Not really worried about value, as I wanted one with koshirae. And this has a nicer tsuba, But feel free to tell me if I got screwed.

Who can give me a little more info? I am looking for books now, but sense I am not buying another, unless I sell which is not the plan. I won't be asking again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-NIHONTO-Japanese-KATANA-SWORD-LONG-WAKIZASHI-TADAYUKI-%E5%BF%A0%E8%A1%8C-w-KOSHIRAE-NR/254289940975?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks 

Scott

Dear Scott.

To start your research you are looking for Bungo Takada swords.  This is a school that has suffered from a poor reputation though some excellent works exist, this I regret to say is not one of them.  This one is in pretty rough koshirae with what looks like a cast tsuba and not a good casting.  As you wanted a wall hanger then that is what you have.

If you want to start making comparisons then have a look at the swords on this site.  https://www.aoijapan.com/  

All the best.

Like the ad said it is signed 豊州高田住忠行 - Tadayuki lineage comes from Bungo province, they span roughly from 1700 to 1860. I just looked at the Bungo Taikan, and the mei on the sword for sale looks very different in style of the Tadayuki examples in the book. I don't think I have any examples of lesser known Tadayuki generations though. But I would be cautious with the signature.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..