Opinions on wakizashi?

corvuscorax

Hello guys,

this is my first post on this forum and i'm taking my first steps into the nihonto world.

Some comments on this wakizashi would be appreciated.

Period, value, leave it or restore it,..?

I bougt some books, but I'm still waiting for amazon to deliver them.

So, some comments would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance and friendly greetings from Flanders, Europe.

Best,

Nico

post-856-14196747065174_thumb.jpg

Hi Nico, welcome to the forum. Sorry, but I deleted a bunch of the pics that weren't really necessary. Thought that 26 images were maybe just a bit much, as we don't need every inch of the saya etc.

Please remember folks that you can upload up to 5 pics in ONE post, before making a new one. Just for the future, as I see many are doing one per post.

I am not sure how much info we can provide. This falls under the generic mumei reasonable-condition late koto/early shinto wakizashi type in my opinion. Nice, but maybe not worth a full restoration. A few months of care and light uchiko work should show the details a bit better. Mounts are low/fair (although I would like some opinions on that tsuba) and looks like it is a nice, honest complete package. Bit of loose grain, but not in bad condition.

I am not sure how much more info could be drawn from it. Looks like a fairly common type of Japanese sale item on eBay maybe, nothing great, but not terrible either.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Brian, for the quick reply.

This sword does indeed comes from a Japanese ebay-dealer.

As a first sword and a first step in nihonto, I didn't want to spend too much money.

And I must admit, it was a sort of impuls buy :oops:

Although I know that I should have waited for my books to arrive (although i think that I will not find all the info in some books, nothing can compare to human collecting-experience).

So, best is that I threat it with uchiko powder and some Choji oil ?

And afterwards, I best leave it that way?

Guest Nanshoku-Samurai

Don't apply too much uchiko or like on this sword don't apply any at all. It is going to dull your polish and make it worse than any better.

This sword is a solid blade. That is it has now flaws. In terms of qiality I would give it about a 4 out of 10. Study it for some time along with your books and sell it in the future to acquire more pieces to study. Try to sell it with some profit and you will be able to upgrade as time goes by.

Now, after you have studied for some time please post your commenst on what you think your sword and its furniture is (age, school etc.).

Enjoy this fine hobby!

Regards,

Max

Thanks for the advice, Max.

So, I best leave the blade like it is. Maybe just applying some oil?

4 out of 10 isn't a high score...

I will for sure study it, but originaly I didn't had the plan to sell it.

Could we say that it is a bad buy? Or is it still a collectable piece?

Thanks,

Nico

Could we say that it is a bad buy? Or is it still a collectable piece?

Hi Nico

i don't think it's a bad buy for a first sword ( but it depend the price you have paid for it!!! :D )

sword and koshirae seem me healthy so when you want to sell it I think you will not have too many problems but for the moment enjoy it :D :D :D

To me, it looks like the Boshi is 'just' hanging on. (If it is). It looks like someone used some sand paper or steelwool, to remove some rust spots.

Study it for a while, than move it on.

My guess would be late koto/ early shinto wak. Hard to tell if it has temper all around?

I like the funky tsuba!

Mark G

Thanks for all the helpfull replies, guys ;)

I hope the sword will pleases me when it arrives.

So, I will leave it alone. Just applying some oil and that's it.

Studying it and when I'm tired looking with it, I can indeed always sell it.

Marc, I also hope that it has temper all around.

And late koto-early shinto: that's indeed a relatively old blade.

A nice study object.

Thanks,

Nico

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..