Mr. Tanobe's Lecture

Hi guys,

Recently I was given 2 copies of the large spiral bound handout from Mr. Tanobe's lecture at the Tampa show in 2003.  The handout is page after page of oshigata with numbers and Xs & Os, but no text.  Do you know, did anyone take notes during the lecture and if so are they available?  The books are pretty close to useless without the text.

Grey

Hi Grey,

I attended that lecture which as I recall was given mostly in Japanese. The subject he covered during his talk was about the Bizen hamon and how it changed over time from the Heian through the Muromachi eras. His lecture had nothing to do with what's in the book that was available at the sword show. The book only gives examples of gimei and shoshin mei for some of the more famous  sword smiths. The oshigata marked "X" means it's gimei while "O" means the oshigata is genuine. There are some very brief notes with some of the oshigata that explain why a mei is gimei. The notes are not too difficult to translate. I hope this helps.

Ed 

Thanks Ed, it does.  I was there also but for whatever reason I don't remember much.  Maybe it has something to do with the note I wrote on the cover of my copy of the book: "Grey Doffin is tired."

Whoever heard of sleeping at a sword show?

Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..