Iida Kunitaro Gunto Koshirae - Help

Dansan

hello friends...

Today I have two questions for you.

Can you help me to find some infos about Iida Kunitaro and his saya system lock ?

Can you Help me to translate the kanji on image 2 and 3 ?

The Iida system lock : post-3334-0-71272800-1447501554_thumb.jpg

The Kanji outside the metal cap : post-3334-0-79946800-1447501781_thumb.jpg

The kanji inside the metal cap : post-3334-0-85806900-1447501873_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to all.

Hello,

First you will need to sign all posts with your name as per forum rules.

Regarding the lock, these have been discussed here in some detail:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/17825-very-unusual-gunto-koshirae/

They are a rare but genuine example of a privately made accessory for officers swords. Seem to be a few floating around on ebay of late. Hopefully none from China yet. These were created by Mr IIDA Kunitaro who ran a retail sword store. The kanji read Sembai Tokyo IIDA shiki Tei Gai "Monopoly Patent, IIDA Model Lock Cover".

Later examples read SEMBAI TOKKYO DAI (number) 132106 GO (number item). These are believed to be the patent number. That is what yours has on the outside of the lid, so you know it is a later iteration.

Info sourced from F&G and J Dawson.

?

0二三一

I'm struggling to match the fifth kanji on the first line and I'm not sure that I have the last kanji on the second line correct. 

The reading of what I have of the first line is something along the lines of "expressly licensed to sell/ deal exclusively..." and the second line is "number 601231...". So maybe an exclusive license to deal under a particular authorisation number. 

Sorry...it's getting easier to track down appropriate kanji but I still struggle to make any sensible meaning out of what I get. Hope I'm not too wide of the mark and that some kind person will correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards,

John

I think you may be trying to read too much into what is standard boilerplate. The other Steve gave the correct translation above. (Although yours is not wrong, just feels a bit overdone).

専賣特許  senbai tokkyo Japanese equivalent of patent, or exclusive patent, if you like. Steve above translates it as monopoly patent, which is the literal (also suitable) translation.

Up to the end of the war, and even still occasionally seen in some places, the characters would be arranged right to left, as they are in the scabbard cap.

The bottom line is also correct

第一三二一〇六号 Number 132106

So together the two (plus the stamp on the inside of the lid) are just the equivalent of what we commonly see in America on many products: Patent pending #132106.

Sorry to both Steves.

I completely missed that it had already been translated in the earlier post. Bugger.  :bang:

At least it got me looking at some kanji and kept me amused for a while. 

Apologies once more.

John

Absolutely nothing to apologise for mate. It's great that you are always so willing to help out and it was a pretty darn good translation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..