Kanenobu Help

nihonto1001

I recently found this Gendaito:

Noshu Ju Kanenobu; Showa, 1941, October.

The nakago looks good.  Bad news; the sword is heavily pitted near the monouchi.  Good news; the pits are in the shinogi-ji.  It should polish out.

The question I have is what the mark in the nakago mune means?  

Any insight would be appreciated.

post-533-0-20294900-1444184181_thumb.jpgpost-533-0-84891500-1444184191_thumb.jpgpost-533-0-96510200-1444184188_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon,

I haven't had any Kanenobu in hand, but I have seen similar mune stamps before.

I think Ohmura sensei mentions them on one of his pages.

I think yours may be (top) "na" for Nagoya arsenal (but not properly struck) and next (bottom) is "ho", meaning (I think) a first inspection.

I think some RJT Nakata Kanehide have been seen with "na" and "ho" also and he too was a Seki smith...check through the "stamps" page here and you will see this topic discussed.

I had a Muto Hidehiro RJT gendaito that had "ko" and "ho" for Kokura and first inspection.

Regards,

George,

I am not well versed in acceptance stamps, but going through all 9 pages of the "Arsenal Stamps" forum http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/5999-arsenal-stamps/, I did not see the "Yama" stamp either. I'll add my pics just so we have a record. I like works of Yoshu Hiromasa, too - very nice choji midare with lots and lots of activities.

Regards,

Hoanh

I recently picked up a copy of Military Swords Of Japan 1868-1945.  There is a section that explains some of the arsenal stamps.  Perhaps the square is a Tan or Kitau stamp, used to indicate a hand forged blade.  These markings are said to be scarce.

Peter, please post a pick of the Kanenobu if you get a chance.  I would like to see what it might look like in polish.

Added: I actually found an example of the Tan stamp thank to Hoanh's link.  Not the same.  

FWIW, pic below of the marks on the nakago mune of my Kokura Arsenal (Kokuri Rikugun Zoheisho) gunto:

IMG_0356_zpsy9depvmr.jpg

The top two marks on my piece seem to be similar to the lower marks on the nakago mune pictured in the response above.  Below is the link to the thread on my Type 3 sword:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/16353-interesting-late-44-gunto/?do=findComment&comment=170555

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..