Can anyone tell me what type of habaki this is? Thx

Caleb Mok

Thanks all.

I'm particularly interested in the pattern of the outer piece. Seems like a repeated, geometric pattern that likes highly recessed...recessed as much as maybe even the Keyfret Habaki? But it may be just sculptural, like the 2nd from the left, of the new pic i posted. But then, that one is obviously contemporary and i don't know if the maker was intending to be historical at all. Back to the original one... seems to be of hexagonal pattern.

I'm very tempted to just contact Aoi and see if they are willing to give me more info. Though my limited understanding of the Japanese cautions me against offering money i.e. it was said they take offense if you leave a tip at a restaurant (?)...i don't know how else to convey that i really, really want to know what pattern that is! I am a huge fan of the Keyfret Habaki, and am dying to see more HISTORICALLY ACCURATE styles of highly recessed, repetitive geometric designs.

Thanks again very much,

Caleb

p.s. I've searched simply "habaki" and "habaki" (in hiragana and katakana) in google and looked thru i swear like every one...not much luck there :(

post-5079-1419692624515_thumb.jpg

Thanks all.

I'm particularly interested in the pattern of the outer piece. Seems like a repeated, geometric pattern that likes highly recessed...recessed as much as maybe even the Keyfret Habaki? But it may be just sculptural, like the 2nd from the left, of the new pic i posted. But then, that one is obviously contemporary and i don't know if the maker was intending to be historical at all. Back to the original one... seems to be of hexagonal pattern.

I'm very tempted to just contact Aoi and see if they are willing to give me more info. Though my limited understanding of the Japanese cautions me against offering money i.e. it was said they take offense if you leave a tip at a restaurant (?)...i don't know how else to convey that i really, really want to know what pattern that is! I am a huge fan of the Keyfret Habaki, and am dying to see more HISTORICALLY ACCURATE styles of highly recessed, repetitive geometric designs.

Thanks again very much,

Caleb

p.s. I've searched simply "habaki" and "habaki" (in hiragana and katakana) in google and looked thru i swear like every one...not much luck there :(

It's standard two-piece construction (probably high quality) gold foiled habaki with pressed pattern. Hard to say which exact pattern it is. It is one of traditional geometric patterns which were used as a cloth decoration.

And is suitable for this style of decoration on habaki. A group of these patterns used for foiled habaki is quite limited. It has its Japanese name for sure, but won't expect something too special, but just pattern.

I only engraved all habaki in your second image but they are cast pieces for cheap iaido etc. swords. All patterns are based on Japanese patterns used in he past not only on habaki. In case of triangles I just change way of depicting. A customer wanted something unusual.

It's standard two-piece construction (probably high quality) gold foiled habaki with pressed pattern. Hard to say which exact pattern it is. It is one of traditional geometric patterns which were used as a cloth decoration.

And is suitable for this style of decoration on habaki. A group of these patterns used for foiled habaki is quite limited. It has its Japanese name for sure, but won't expect something too special, but just pattern.

I only engraved all habaki in your second image but they are cast pieces for cheap iaido etc. swords. All patterns are based on Japanese patterns used in he past not only on habaki. In case of triangles I just change way of depicting. A customer wanted something unusual.

Thanks Mr. Urban!

I think i've found either ~it~, or something close enough. Searched "Japanese cloth pattern", and the new file i've attached turns out show up in quite a few sites. IMHO it strongly resembles the Aoi Art picture not only because of the hexagon pattern, but also because the middle of each hexagon (?) has some sort of a heavy dot or patch, which the cloth pattern also has. Sorry for posting your work without asking... :/ But really nice work.

Thanks,

Caleb

post-5079-14196926476238_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..