Tanegashima ama-ooi

Thanks Justin, great pic. Similar to the one Eric posted I think, showing similar details.

I am still looking for one showing the back of an ama-ooi..really want to see that ridge along the back.

I have scrapped my one. Going to get thicker material and mill it out so that the ridge is one piece. All takes time, but will work well.

Brian

Brian, this image shows the back edge a little better. By the way, does anyone have a name for the small bar that locks the amaooi in place?

c69de88a67dd71d40f41d3d1b901c8e6.jpg

Eric, the best word that works for that little wedge is literally, kusabi (wedge).

Piers, that works, I have looked every were and do not see that particular part being named, how about amaooi kusabi?

Eric, since you asked that question, one I have had for many years myself, it was a good chance to go back and check the literature. Many happy hours later I can report that Kusabi is good, that your use of Amaooi Kusabi would make it even clearer.

There is one other written word for the same wedge, ie 竹節 which luckily is also read in the Hinawa-Ju world as くさび クサビ Kusabi. Why? you ask. Good question. There is a convention within Japanese writing whereby sometimes you can use 当て字 Ateji to illustrate more clearly what you are describing, with the same sound, but more interesting characters. In this case they say Kusabi, but the eye-meaning (visual meaning) is bamboo nodal/spinal sections, and in many cases the brass is carved/fashioned into such a bamboo-likeness.

Incidentally this refinement came about in mid Edo to make removal of the Amaooi easier. Lack of one may be an indication of an earlier gun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..