Information about previous sword owners

stephan_hiller

Hello,

I am now collecting Japanese swords for over 10 years but in all newsgroups and nihonto boards we usually only discuss about the quality of a blade and about the maker. What I am missing is more information about the various owner over the centuries. Unfortunately I don't have these information for my own swords. When I asked the seller about the history of the sword and where it came from it got the response that it was acquired either on a flea market or shop or was from a WWII vet. This even applies for swords that I acquired in Japan directly. I have no information about a samurai familiy who owned the sword or if the sword was taken to any battles or other historical background information. I am wondering if I am the only one who has no significatant information about previous (Japanese) owners/families. I know that there are high pontial swords out there where the history is well known (e.g. a famous WW2 generals where the swords was in familiy possession for several centuries) but I am talking more about the mid-range swords where the previous owners weren't very famous. Although I have no information about my swords I am sometimes thinking about what the sword may have "seen" and in which battle it may has participated. Do you have any more information about your swords and its owners than the seller where you got it from?

Stephan

Guest Simon Rowson

A surrender tag is good but even they can be swapped around (or faked) to make a gunto more saleable.

A ka-mon is no use because each one belonged to so many different families.

Some swords (last war and older) are inscribed with the name of the owner on the nakago so this is probably the most irrefutable information.

Unfortunately, any sword with a long, well-known history is likely to be a National Treasure!

Simon

Hi Stephan,

It is very difficult to trace Precedent Nihonto owners.

Except for some Hairloom coming from Daimyo family, even origin of most Juyo are impossible to trace.

People want to sell/consign their Nihonto blades through commercial shops but seldom give their wherabouts.

IMHO, If you are selling an heirloom or something which has been cherished for centuries in your family, I do not think you would like to advise it or get it public. :( :(

Guest Simon Rowson

Amazing if it is one of Hijikata Toshizo's swords (although, in my gut I feel that the Hijikata Toshizo Museum would have been offered it and snapped it up if it was genuine).

Regarding shinsa, I think they are more concerned with who made it rather than who used it so this may explain the lack of papers.

Even if the inscription is fake, it's not claiming to be the maker so I don't think it would be disqualified purely because of this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..