Suso-Kanamono

san-mai-usa

I am new to the forum and realise I have so much to learn.

Some years ago I aquired 3 round flat cast bronzes of Japanes mythical creature, a dragon, a kirin and a minogame (turtle).

I was told that they were adornments from armour and they have small holes in the edge that was originally used to secure them to something.

On the back of one of them is a hand written sticker saying that they are "samurai bronze ornaments with martial symbols from the Tokugawa period circa 1850".

They are 4 1/4" across and the relief is quite detailed.

If anyone can help with their identification, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

post-4458-14196859514466_thumb.jpg

post-4458-14196859520072_thumb.jpg

post-4458-14196859524446_thumb.jpg

post-4458-14196859532193_thumb.jpg

post-4458-14196859534566_thumb.jpg

Dear ?, In future could you please sign your posts so we know who we are replying to.

The medallions you have illustrated are of exceptional quality but probably not from an armour. I say probably because I have long ago learned never to say never. Being bronze they would have limited defensive value, hence they would have been used decoratively. You do get similar roundels fixed to the front of dou but they are usually about 10" or more in diameter and are normally embossed from sheet rather than being cast. I am curious about the coating on the back of the one with the label. It looks like fired enamel that has mainly flaked off. The holes you mention must be very small but I think I can see a couple in the back view. If that is the case, it suggests they were sewn onto a fabric or leather background - but just what can only be speculation. Unless they were made to adorn something for the tourist trade, all I can suggest is they may have been attached to a harness or perhaps something used in a religious context

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..