naive questions about teppo

Friends,

For the obvious reason (i.e. I was just presented with one), I have questions about Japanese matchlocks. Like everybody else, I've picked some matchlocks up over the year, but I don't collect them, and my reference library on them is modest.

Today I was presented with one that I found unusual in a couple of regards. I write to beg the wisdom on the Message Board. Obviously, it is not "sword related", but it may be of interest to some forumites. Experts in thos community might also offer help.

The gun in question is a classic tanegashima, but it is quite small and almost delicate. I'm sorry that I can't give either a picture or measurements. It also has a very small bore. It is a "long gun", but it is far lighter than other Edo period guns. It is well crafted, with rose bud muzzle, but has no inlay on the barrel and only the barest stock embellishments. It was - and I guess it still is since the deal is - dare I say it - "hanging fire" - in a collection of "kentucky rifles." This gun has a look that would appeal to a collector with that interest.

The gun also has what I understand to be a registration number stamped on the buttstock. I do not see an obvious date, but I assume that this is a Meiji era addition.

All this lead to 2 questions.

1. Is this a samurai weapon or a piece of mingei? Is it an old gun that was re-purposed by a farmer or somebody in the Meiji era as a 'game getter.'

2. Is there a source that can unpack the stamped information in the stock.

Peter

Dear Peter,

Firstly what is the caliber ( in inches or mm ) ? Secondly what is the overall length ? I notice you say no pictures are available, ... so an estimate may suffice. All firearms were supposed to be registered by the authorities during the Meiji period, and most have the details of the registration written on the stock ( I have actually seen more Tanegashima with NO registration marks than with, ... so so much for gun control in Meiji era Japan ). A great many Tanegashima were used for Target Shooting ... a very popular sport at one time in Japan. I am guessing that is the case in this instance. In the case of decifering the Kanji, ... perhaps Piers may lend you a hand if you can get photographs.

... Ron Watson

Yes, as Ron says. Has it definitely got a matchlock serpentine lock? The Kanji on the stock/butt will probably tell you in which prefecture this gun was registered during the great teppo aratame, (roundup) at the beginning of Meiji. (These were repeated in later years and smaller quantities as it became apparent that many guns had slipped through the net.) Often the earliest stamp is referred to as the "Jinshin Bango", the number struck in the year of Jinshin, 壬申 1872.

Ron and Piers,

Thank you and thanks for making the Board work.

This little shooting iron is about 40" long and I would guess that it is like a .30 calibre. Could be a target gun.

And Piers you hit the nail right on the head. The stamped inscription is JINSHIN 19480. I also think there is another stamp - in kana - that says something like "Kokura." I guess it is a Kyushu gun! I did not pull the barrel so i do not know if it is signed.

Now i was thinking that the deal would be closed by now, but it still is not my gun. . . .

Even so, let me ask another question about restoration.

This is a well used arm. It has lost much of its exterior finish - steel and wood - but it remains a well crafted gun and clean. Local gun slicks describe guns like this as "Cowboy'd." They are used but nice.

This is the kind of gun that makes a guy wonder about re-blueing. The pipe does not have serious pitting, but there is a lot of bare metal. Were it blade, the obvious answer would be a fresh polish. What are the standards of preservation of tanegashima? Is value added with a nice refinish-or is it destroyed?

Peter

Peter

Dear Peter,

Firstly, I believe what you are dealing with is either a target gun, ... or possibly given it's length a boy's target gun. I have one gun that I for sure know was made for target shooting. It is .375 calibre. However it is more or less the standard length of a regular military matchlock of the day being 54 inches OA. This is why I suggest it may be for a boy given the small calibre and shorter length. Not being able to view photographs makes this all supposition. Although condition is important, a boy's matchlock would in my eyes be a dream to obtain if that is what we have here.

Next question, ... I know the gun trade ( North American at least ) do not believe in re-bluing the barrel or re-finishing the wood. Keep in mind here that we are NOT discussing a bloody Winchester 86, ... which are common in comparison to what you are negotiating on buying. I own no fewer than 7 antique ( Samurai era ) firearms, .... and if I cannot buy them in EXCELLENT condition, ... I usually pass on buying, .... UNLESS they are in such condition that I am able to RESTORE them to as close to original finish as possible. This occassionally means removal of excessive rust, and re-bluing or more likely re-browning the barrel to the extent that they are not as NEW, ... but are VERY PRESENTABLE. This takes experience in knowing how the gun should look without it looking newly manufactured ( hard to visualize unless an example is seen in person ). Same with the stock, .... I would NEVER sand the stock, ... but rather re-stain ( only if absolutely necessary ), ... but usually a good oiling with lemon oil and a hand rubbing will bring out the original finish and give the wood life and luster again. I have never had to stain a full Japanese matchlock stock yet, ... but I have repaired missing wood and stained to match the original wood.

Repairing the locks, re-making repacement metal parts is common on these matchlocks, ... as missing parts detract from the overall appearance, and if done CORRECTLY and again this takes experience in metalwork will NOT and SHOULD NOT be recognizable from the original Japanese craftmanship.

In closing, ... Peter, ... I would dearly like to see some photographs in order to offer more precise conclusions and suggestions. I would also like to add that should this gun be in the condition you describe, ... given it's rarity .... I would go after it !

... Ron Watson

Steel and wood? So there is no brasswork on it?

Some of these guns were originally covered in Urushi lacquer, so you will need to consider carefully how you treat the wood before acting on it. Much will depend on what hasn't and what has been done to it both before and since the gun left Japan. The very best choice may be a sort of middle-of-the road fuzzy job that does not make the gun stand out strangely in any one direction.

A boy's gun would be unusual. A friend of mine has one, and in total I have only ever seen two or three here in Japan, compared to perhaps several hundred Tanegashima. A lovely thing to own, but we are talking in the dark here, so to paraphrase Ron, a picture would be worth a thousand words.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..