Ricecracker.com

jezah81

They enjoy a good reputation according to some. I've seen their stuff in SF, and but not yet been tempted by their swords. They get in some good fittings now and then and are knowledgable, but can be difficult to deal with. I tried to buy a set of menuki off them, but ran into such trouble like you are currently experiencing. Then I tried to buy those same menuki in San Fran, but there was further difficulty between 'website' price and 'see them in person on first day of the San Fran show' price. The menuki have been there on the website at least 4 or 5 years now. I gave up trying to buy them. As I've said, they get good stuff (fittings at least), but dealing with them has never been easy for me.

You would probably do best to deal with Moses at Nihontoantiques.com , Fred W. of Nihonto.com , and Andy Q of Nihonto.us . I've had some excellent buys from Moses and Fred.

Hi jezah81,

I've dealt with both Mike Yamasaki and John Kurata, and will say they're good guys with whom you can reliably conduct business. When I first attempted contacting them, it took approximately (2) weeks for them to respond after both leaving voicemail and sending e-mail requesting a meeting. I subsequently learned that during my first attempt to contact them, John was busy with his job and Mike just happened to be in Japan at that time. However, Mike soon called me back and we set up a mutually agreeable appointment when we met and conducted business.

So while successfully making initial contact with them was a little tenuous, everything eventually worked out. Hopefully, you'll find the same to be true.

Best Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..