5 replies to this topic

#1 roger dundas

roger dundas

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Locationportland,victoria

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

Showing wear and tear of the years, mon inlays appear similar work to those inlays used in tsuba posted by Benjamin,(NMB) September 10, 2019 ex Paris flea market- a fine example.

Also similar to Heianjo tsuba in Ashmolean museum bequeathed by Sir Arthur H Church in 1915- EAX 10168 (Oxford University).

Plate showing pronounced delamination in hitsu ana area.

8 x 76 x 4mm

Roger Dundas

Attached Thumbnails

• mon delamination rs.JPG
  • mon 2 better rs.JPG
  • mon 1 better rs.JPG
  • mon engraving 2 rs.JPG
  • mon engraving rs.JPG

#2 roger dundas

roger dundas

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

Further to the above tsuba, I'm very sorry for the state of untidiness which is easily seen in the pics but not evident to my eyes when held in my hand.

Not wanting to dodge responsibility but my eyes (and in fact much of the rest of me) don't function that well anymore.

Roger D.

#3 Geraint

Geraint

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationCornwall UK

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

Dear Roger.

Don'y get too excited about the price but see here fro some information on your tsuba.  http://www.shibuiswo...ikeyoshiro.html

I have seen the suggestion that the shape of the hitsu ana on yours suggests an earlier tsuba.

All the best.

Geraint

#4 Ford Hallam

Ford Hallam

Heretic

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationBrixham, Southern England

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

This is fairly classic Yoshiro tsuba. There are some that are signed, which gives us the name and approximate date of production. These, are from the early 17th cent. So 1600's
  • Kurikata and TETSUGENDO like this

#5 roger dundas

roger dundas

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:19 AM

Thank you Beraint and Ford for taking the time to respond.

I included 2 close up shots without explanation but it was to show the extra work some craftsmen go to such as the engraved curved lines around the central hole. In reality these lines are quite fine and accurately done.

I wondered if such extra embellishment was part of the original mon or added by the craftsman just because he liked the extra effect ?

Something like you get with the fine line brass inlay that instead of finishing at the rim edge- is mimi the term ?- goes over and onto the edge.

Quite a bit more effort from the times that predated  power tools.

Much to be admired in the way a craftsman will produce a work to impress others but more particularly in the way a top craftsman will want to satisfy his own standards and values.

It's part of what gets us collectors in I think.

Hope you didn't mind my rave.

Roger Dundas

#6 Ken-Hawaii

Ken-Hawaii

Tokubetsu Juyo

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationKaneohe, Hawaii, USA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:04 AM

Much to be admired in the way a craftsman will produce a work to impress others but more particularly in the way a top craftsman will want to satisfy his own standards and values.

It's part of what gets us collectors in I think.

Exactly right, Roger. One big reason that I collect Heianjo tsuba.

Ken Goldstein

Anyone can be tough for a season,

but it takes a special kind of human to rise to life's challenges for a lifetime.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tsuba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq